[-empyre-] Week Three - Open Access

Michael Dieter mdieter at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jun 15 16:44:32 EST 2010

To empyre list,

I would like to introduce three new guests to our discussion for this week
on Publishing in Convergence under the topic of Open Access. While the
discussion so far has focused broadly on issues concerning distribution,
media-specific differences between print and pixels, along with the
neurological factors concerning attention and reading in new media
settings, we want to now allow space to consider the actual experiments
with open access that are currently underway, specifically in academic
sectors (but also not excluded to those domains).

It has become increasingly apparent that the political economy of
knowledge production has been a long term blind spot for many researchers
and scholars in universities. The conditions and products of
publication-as-work within the academy itself has not been a primarily
concern. This is remarkable since corporate systems of ownership have
steadily become the norm in terms of journals and books, whereby the free
labor and gift economy of knowledge production - peer reviewing, or
institutional and publicly funded research - is turned over for profits
and locked behind corporate pay walls. New publishing tools, however,
allow this situation to be significantly transformed. Potential for change
counts not only in terms of distribution, but the collaborative creation
of knowledge in general.

This week on empyre, we welcome Paul Ashton, Gary Hall, Sigi Jottkandt and
David Ottina to discuss the emerging movement toward open access.

Paul Ashton is Assistant Professor in Publishing, NMIT, Australia. He has
multiple years of experience in scholar-led publishing initiatives as
director of the independent open access publishing house re.press,
co-editor of the open access journal Cosmos and History and co-founder of
Open Humanities Press. He is contributing editor to The Praxis of Alain
Badiou  (2006) and The Spirit of the Age: Hegel and the Fate of Thinking
(2008).

Gary Hall is a London-based cultural and media theorist working on new
media technologies, continental philosophy and cultural studies. He is
Professor of Media and Performing Arts in the School of Art and Design at
Coventry University, UK. He is the author of Culture in Bits  (2002) and
Digitize This Book!: The Politics of New Media, or Why We Need Open Access
Now (2008) and co-editor of New Cultural Studies: Adventures in Theory
(2006) and Experimenting: Essays with Samuel Weber (2007). He is also
founding co-editor of the international open access journal Culture
Machine, series editor of Berg's Culture Machine book series, director of
the cultural studies open access archive CSeARCH  and a co-founder of Open
Humanities Press.

Sigi Jöttkandt is author of Acting Beautifully: Henry James and the
Ethical Aesthetic  (2005); First Love: A Phenomenology of the One (2010),
and a contributing editor to The Catastrophic Imperative: Subjectivity,
Time and Memory in Contemporary Thought  (2009). She was part of the
original founding collective (with Joan Copjec) of the journal  Umbr(a) at
the Center for Psychoanalysis and Culture, University at Buffalo.
Currently co-editor of the open access journal S: Journal of the Jan van
Eyck Circle for Lacanian Ideology Critique  (The Netherlands), she is also
a co-founder of Open Humanities Press.

David Ottina is an IT professional, free culture advocate and a co-founder
of Open Humanities Press.

- M.

ps I should add, due to the scale of the topics that we're covering this
month, we highly encourage all subscribers and guests to continue threads
from previous weeks, or contribute across a range of discussions as
relevant. Of course, the introduction of another side of publishing
shouldn't mean that a conversation already underway should be wrapped up!

--
Michael Dieter
School of Culture and Communication