[-empyre-] localized scenes, digital arts & education

Edward Sanderson ed at escdotdot.com
Thu Nov 18 19:54:55 EST 2010

Hello Johannes, everyone,

My knowledge is very Beijing-biased, so apologies for that.

798 is a perfect example of how the development of an area can kill
off the creativity which attracted the attention in the first place.
Following the investment in the area's infrastructure in preparation
for the Olympics, 798 is a very different place from even 3 years ago.
Rents skyrocketed and this forced out the more alternative/
uncommercial spaces. Of course this affects any type of creativity,
not just new media work. The more economically viable work, such as
painting of a certain style, is in a better position to survive. I can
count the spaces in 798 where there is a hope of seeing interesting
work on the fingers of one hand now.

In Beijing the only space which explicitly focuses on new media is
Yuanfen Gallery in 798, which is run by an American, David Ben Kay <http://yuanfenart.com/
 >. He presents photography, video and interactive work in small group
shows usually mixing Chinese and foreign artists, I think he curates
it himself.

Most other places have a broader remit though. Video, video
+installation, animation are all common to see in group shows in the
less mainstream galleries. I don't see so much work like aaajiao's on
display in Beijing – maybe aaajiao can give an idea of the options
for presentation for this kind of work?

For sound work, Vitamin Creative Space in Guangzhou and Vitamin's "the
shop" in Beijing have hosted a number of sound events (usually
organised by Yan Jun, I believe) alongside their more traditional
gallery activities. UCCA also host sound art and experimental music
events (again, Yan Jun is involved with these).

There are quite a few club-style events for new media performances of
the DJ/VJ format, one-off nights or part of festivals. Festivals which
accommodate the full range of art forms happen irregularly, Get it
Louder <http://www.getitlouder.com/> or NO+CH <http://www.notch10.com/
 > have both included "new media" works.

Outside of China as always I guess one relies on curators who are
known to promote new media (Li Zhenhua for instance was involved in
the ChinaChinaChina!!! <http://www.strozzina.org/chinachinachina/>
show in 2008/9)

As Melinda mentioned way back, there was the issue of neural.it <http://www.neural.it/art/2008/04/neural_29.phtml
 > which focused on Chinese new media. How do people feel it was
presented there?

Best,
Ed