[-empyre-] departing Manifest Dynasty

Melinda Rackham melinda at subtle.net
Mon Nov 29 14:50:17 EST 2010

greetings -empyre- ..
The -empyre- thematic this month was an exploration of the factors
which shape media art production within China - and what shapes and
filters the art we see from China in locations outside China. Manifest
Dynasty specifically references the notion of Manifest Destiny - a
19th century American belief in expansionism; the divine right of the
US to rule the North American continent; and the belief in the natural
superiority of the English-speaking peoples. The term fell into disuse
after the mid 1850s, athough its concepts continue to influence US
foreign policy today.

150 years later these same notions are being played out on the Asian
continent.The headiness in todays China is of Capitalism on Crack - a
veritable Mad Men in Mandarin. Chinese expansion is readily apparent
(manifest) and inexorable (destiny). Giant manufacturing industries
are moving beyond China's borders into cheaper labour markets,
economic policy keeps the value of the Yuan down benefiting Chinese
exporters, Chinese painting has become a global art movement. There
are still however many specifies which make China a unique location
for the production of media arts beyond any notions of an east/west
dichotomy.

We have spoken of the co-location of the major Chinese curators of
media arts in China, the US, Europe and Australia, and the emerging
Shanghai ideology, an expansion on the Californian ideology of the
1990's. Rebecca Catching spoke several times of the issues surrounding
the Cultural Bureau's censorship of her curatorial programs at the OV
gallery in Shanghai, and in my closing comments I want to pick up on
the many factors which shape what we see in exhibitions and in public
space:-

In our DreamWorlds exhibition we made the hard decision to self-censor
to ensure that the whole exhibition went ahead. I was initially buoyed
by the more openness to foreign work in China over the repast 10
years, however well into development became aware of the changing
moods in China regarding political content in foreign work. Our
producer was having the annoying and constant passport checks, the
venue hadn't signed its contact and we become increasingly worried the
show wouldn't eventuate. I had initially included the very talented
Deborah Kelly in the DreamWorlds show. Deborah was not doing a
flagrantly political work, well it was a work on gender politics, but
has a healthy reputation as as leading activist artist as a
consequence of her previous collective and political artwork -
especially the recent Tank Man Tango (http://www.forget2forget.net) -
a global dance performance based on the guy who faced off the
advancing tanks in Tiananmen Square in 1989 with two plastic shopping
bags. My apologies to Deborah for not being brave enough to take the
risk in public space in China this time to exhibit her work.

The venue in fact was playing their own cat and mouse games with us,
having unbeknown to us, also rented the space in front of our
exhibition screen to Mercedes-Benz for an event on the same night
Dreamworlds launched.  No problem really except Mercedes erected a 3
story high fluorescent pavilion directly in front of our 27 meter
screen making it unviewable and effectively censoring its opening
event. (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/iwishicoulddescribeittoyoubetter/4966681251/)
  Luckily our opening party was being held in a private open air plaza
on the 4th floor in the building opposite the Sanlitun Screen and we
had an almost clear vier to the screen. Mercedes pulled down their
pavilion the day after our opening, however it proved to be an
interesting exploration of the ecology of random, unpredictable and
competing markets, events and aesthetics of presenting art work in the
public sphere.

Perhaps as a foreigner I can never hope to have the agility of
thinking to understand the fluctuating regulations, variable
guidelines, competing market factions and political and legal
inconsistencies that doing business in China require . Pulling off a
big show in China is a feat for a foreigner and Kim Machan, who has
been a pioneer of the cultural exchange exhibitions both in and out of
China,  now prefers to work in Libraries as a more stable environment
than the gallery system. Chunky Move (whose work was documented in
Dreamworlds) were so frustrated by negotiations with their theatre
they cancelled their Beijing season of Mortal Engine. Perhaps this
lack of agile perspective or adaptive positioning is what Li Zuhena
was refering to when he complained the paucity and fundamental
thinking displayed in our -empyre- dialogues.

Many ironies emerge in cultural exchanges.  Rebecca was speaking of
the value of digital files to route around censorship on a local
scale, and Isaac Mao spoke of the new collective consciousness of
Cloud Computing.  Our experience of Dreamworlds was digital that
transfer of large files is extremely difficult into, within and out of
China - hard copies of large works are necessary.  The reproducibility
and mobility of the digital image also resulted in our Beijing venue,
Sanlitun Village,  showing the Dreamworlds exhibition for an
additional month without seeking our permission, or paying the artists
for the additional use of their content. The copies of the works
should have been destroyed after the agreed screening period, but they
live on. The digital makes ownership and access variable across the
board.

It has been a fascinating month for me personally, to gain insight
into some aspects of the Media Arts scenes in China. While undoubtedly
a major player in global media arts practices, there is tendency
outside China to foreground translatable work - artists working in the
global language of data aesthetics and digital scapes rather than in
the specificities of culture.   Media art however, like all arts
practice is inextricably routed in local context - whether that locale
be Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou or other centers. To think
one can transcend ones grounding is perhaps foolish and dull, as it is
precisely those local contexts world wide which make media and the
emerging material digital art practices so vibrant and affective in
context and content.

Thank you sincerely to our guests who have shared a plethora of
information on the historical development and the current issues of
creating, exhibiting and curating media art across the widely
differing cultures of China's provinces. Your generosity is very much
appreciated. Thank you especially to our co-facilitator Edward
Sanderson for his work on the ground in Beijing. Your individual and
collective generosity has been very much appreciated.

best wishes

Melinda

Melinda Rackham
melinda at subtle.net