[-empyre-] A further thought Re: Cambridge and Paris

Jean-baptiste Labrune labrune at media.mit.edu
Wed Oct 13 08:59:07 EST 2010

Le 12 oct. 10 à 18:06, Penny Florence a écrit :

> There is a kind of precedent to Lorna's collective in second wave
> feminism. Art was highly significant in that movement because so
> many of us realised that it was not only a way of making sense, but
> also of making new sense, the kinds of sense that were blocked
> elsewhere. By bringing that general principle out of the (then
> necessarily) reactive space of a counter-cultural movement, Lorna's
> move represents a further stage, not a return.

I don't understand you here. Do you say that the move here is to think
that Art is a space to create sense by opposition to the rest of the
world where the sense is "blocked" ? This does not seems like a new
idea to me, but I maybe miss your point.

In the context of Pompidou and powerful friends (autoritative spaces
that define "culture" like Cambridge, NYU and the other sponsors of
this event) it seems to me that it is more the contrary that happens,
i.e. that institutions try to post-rationalise their values thanks to
compliant artists and intellectuals that can talk about everything as
long as it is not about the institution itself or its politi.

The IRI/Pompidou, like many intellectual and transdisciplinary
research center in Paris receive generous support of the MAIC complex
(Stiegler's research is for example very often funded by Cap Digital,
directed by people from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagard%C3%A8re_Group
  ). Like the situation of printed media where it is now rare to have
independant publications, it is now rare, especially in new media art
and experimental practices to avoid these kind of compromises. In the
US, the amazing Darpa funded ICT are great example of these
collusions. (more on MAIC see Nick Knouf's http://maicgregator.org )

I am not here to judge about the moral implications of these
relationships, but I think that this issue of money and also the need
for branding prevents artists of being reflective in their practice
when it comes to addressing the system that sustain them. This leads
very often to an aesthetics that is a *Decorum* more than a reflexive,
sense-making process and privileges "autonomous" experiments since
they are fictive, imaginary productions. A bit like in Design where it
is always more politically correct to talk about the "future" than
confronting the present (and I know quite a bit about this particular
example since I lived 2 years in the future while in boston :)))

Penny, Lorna, I follow you at 1K% when you celebrate the poïesis that
Art practices allow compared to bleak intricated social situations.
However, the premise of your event and the fact that it is
specifically co)organised  with the IRI cannot be put aside if you are
an artist, since non-artist expect you to be somehow aware of your
situation in the world if you say that you are interested in the socio-
political implications of your artefacts. And yes, yes, of course you
can also decide to go the other way, the cynical one like Damien
Hirst  :)

> Jean-baptiste's remarks contrast the autonomous space of the art
> work with situated spaces and embodied symbolic machines without
> looking closely at the way the artwork can be just such a "machine"
> (a word that itself has a long history in art and in politics). That
> is what it began to become in the 80s, and that is what eventually
> dissolved, or perhaps, was submerged. And it evolves in and through
> the autonomy of the art work.

Well, I see here a tension between the desire of "painting on the
shoulder of giants" and your claim for the auto-nomy of the art work.
I thaught that Making Sense was an attempt to bind current (modern)
discussions with the history of Arts, epistemology and maybe to tap
into the cultural study reservoir shaped - among other - by french
po(ï)ets like Derrida, Foucault, Deleuze & Guattari & their machines,
maybe Varela, etc, etc. As my colleague Olivier Mauco at Omnsh (french
digital human sciences association) remarked last week, the idea of
autonomy of an artwork or any symbolic system (PAZ, TAZ, etc) is a
very old debate in sociology, current conceptions would be more around
the idea of non-regulated zones that are waiting to be structured by
external forces. If according to your idea of autonomy of art work Art
is a fictum, a pure creation used as an illustrative vehicle of sense,
then how to translate its narrative to complex socio-material
situations when you are englued in institutional frameworks ?

In addition, the alibi of "autonomy" is often used to actually refuse
to confront to any similar or precedent works or experiences leading
sometimes to the re-creation again and again of the same under a "new"
name. I am thinking here for instance how the "relational aesthetics"
defined either by Fred Forest or Nic Bourillaud was used to justify
everything and its contrary. Sure, epistemic confusion could be an art
form but then we enter a field originated hundred year ago and now
recuperated by advertisment and spin-doctoring than navigating on
somehow rigourous intellectual practices... Like you, I believe that
it is necessary to go beyond the idea of "revolution" or simple
agonistic critique. I am not sure though that these experimental
thoughts are easy when you put so much idols around you neck (cultural
studies, ranciere, stiegler, pompidou,etc, etc...) since their own
situation (coherence of their narrative, institutional constraints)
usually does not position them as "transformative".

> To say that is not to go off into some mystified space, but to go
> deeper into the materiality of thought and transformative
> experience. With transformation, there can be no new politics.

lapsus ? ;)

I am myself very interested myself in understanding how to benefit
from the last 50 years of research of alternatives to antagonistic and
revolutionnary thinking without celebrating again and again the
classic system of power and order of the - often male dominated -
institutional mesh that we all love so much. Last year, I spend some
times with kristof wodiczko, and I think he is an exemple of a career
transformed by institutions and social encounters when its artworks
adressed precisely the antagonistic dilemma and the critics of
critics. Kristof, like the Bruno, Bernard, etc, etc of the world (in
Art School, New Schools, Medialabs) not only talk about their
experimental practices as researchers but also have political and
institutional duties that I believe create a tabou gap in contrast to
their "thinking". Scarcity of positions and funding often invites
compromises, a classic result of sociopolitical organisms, and for the
naif that I am does not help to understand how their fiction
articulates with reality since they prescribe but do not follow. On
the other hand of the spectrum of antagonistic-revolutionary
alternative I think that either classic university based intellectuals
(chantal mouffe) or autonomous newmedia/art groupes ( http://incident.net/theupgrade/politique0/
  ) can inspire artists to not only again and again try to situate
experimental practices in institutions but to be able to talk without
sponsors. And yes, there is always a sponsor, but can it tolerates to
be criticised or does it buy your complaisance ? On this topic, see
the excellent http://www.newpatrons.eu/

> Which brings me e-poetry. I could say a lot more about the above,
> but I don't want to be further deflected, and I'm not making any
> direct political claims for my efforts in general or for my
> collaboration with John Cayley. I'll just say that any truly new
> politics will have to abandon the romance of revolution and
> opposition. That's an uncomfortable place for certainty.
>
> This is how we described what we are doing for "Making Sense":
> Taking transposition to be both destruction and invention
> ("creation" bothers me slightly, with its religious and/or
> mystifying overtones), the potential that is emerging appears very
> exciting. At the level of the body, none of these elements is
> separate. In the art work, there is the potential for that relation
> to the body to be communicated in the aesthetic encounter - first of
> all as sensation. This is what I take Mallarmé to mean when he
> writes of poetic language as distinct from instrumental language.
> It's not about elitism. It's open to anyone who will focus on it.
> But it's not easy. It's not lying around in headlines for careless
> consumption. It's where the potential for non-commodified desire
> might manifest. It's also a place for some interesting debate about
> the kinds of issue that academics do best - interrogation of
> language, discussion of word-image relations, dispassionate analysis
> of what you have actually produced, where its antecedents lie, how
> new technologies intervene in old, and where any of the above might
> lead.

This looks very interesting, do you know if this event will be
recorded or streamed ?

> One last bit of context before I set off for a hellish day's work:
> my first collaboration with John involved something very simple
> which turned out to be revelatory. We staged a series of
> performances of e-poetry and theoretical talks in the galleries of
> Tate Modern, projecting the new media work on to the walls right by
> the paintings. That simple juxtaposition convinced me that my hunch
> about this work and a modernism that never fully emerged was worth
> following.

Are you planning to perform during this event ? Also, did you attend
Latour re-enactment of Durkheim-Tarde debate? this was very pre-
modern :))

> I look forward to your responses.

Yep,
Cheers, and bon courage for the organisation of the event,
Jb (who unfortunately cannot join you IRL this time)

> On 11 October 2010 05:48, Lorna Collins <lpc29 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear Patty,
> Further to my message this morning I'd like to emphasise the way
> Making Sense uses the process of creating an artwork as a method of
> thinking. The aesthetic encounter sometimes refers to passive
> reception of an artwork; we are also interested in mobilizing the
> active, physical process of creating an artwork, as a method of
> thinking through doing. I am a painter and use colour and texture to
> think about ontology and make sense of the present. I think through my
> fingers, so to speak. I am interested in talking with artists who use
> digital media and cyberspace, a virtual reality, and comparing notes
> or experimenting on the process of creating an artwork.
> All the best,
> Lorna
>
> 2010/10/10 Patricia R. Zimmermann <patty at ithaca.edu>:
> > Lorna:
> >
> > Could you explain in theoretical and practical terms your idea of
> how Making Sense facilitates "aesthetic encounters."?
> >
> > What is the theory of an "aesthetic encounter"?
> >
> > How does your group define "aesthetic"?
> >
> > And, how does your group define "encounter"?
> >
> > How does the change implied from "encounter" differ in function
> from the change implied in "intervention" or "mobilization"?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for sharing any thoughts on the above based on
> your experience in Making Sense.
> >
> > Patty
> >
> > -------
> > Patricia R. Zimmermann, Ph.D.
> > Professor, Cinema, Photography and Media Arts
> > Roy H. Park School of Communications
> > Codirector, Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival
> > Division of Interdisciplinary and International Studies
> > 953 Danby Road
> > Ithaca College
> > Ithaca, New York 14850 USA
> > Office: +1 (607) 274 3431