[-empyre-] contexts and collaborations

Penny Florence penny.florence at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 15:36:35 EST 2010

I'm split - into wanting to respond to John's post from the inside of our
collaboration in ways that would take too long to explain, and into wanting
to take up this notion of context. So I'll try to merge them.
There are/were some for whom the notion of context was itself problematic
because it actually installs a separation between work and force-field. Far
from wanting to isolate the art work, they wanted to blur boundaries - or,
as I would rather put it, maintain an infinite set of regressions, like the
diminution of sound waves into inaudibility, if not silence. Somewhere, this
is how I want to launch our translations into the future and out of the
past, in poetics, in each language, in each sense. The resonances change
with all of these. But they are nevertheless specific. They are (up to a
point) traceable. That traceability is in both what can and what can't be
done. I hope this doesn't come across as empty paradox play. I mean it very
precisely as that which is at stake in translation and in intersemiotic
transposition. If you are putting a language-based piece into motion in
digital space, what do you do with syntax and rhyme? What do you do with the
temporal shifts of poems that arise when you erode the boundaries of the
word? What do you do with chance, perhaps a neglected element of contextual
thinking? These are questions that arise out of making.
There is a very subtle politics in a great deal of the best poetry. Politics
with a small "p" at first, perhaps, but maybe it's at that level that it's
good to be attuned to it, because it doesn't stay there. (For the really
determined, take a look at "Richard Wagner. Rêverie d'un poète français").
So much to say - but the back is weak.