[-empyre-] Ludion, Taxonomedia and more (again, plain text)

claudia claudiakozak at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Sep 15 15:21:20 EST 2010

Hello everybody,

Following the introduction posed by Timothy Murray, I would like to
summarize part of the ideas that came up during the Taxonomedia meeting in
Buenos Aires. As part of the collective “Exploratory” Ludión
(www.ludion.com.ar) –not an Observatory but an Exploratory– Flavia Costa and
I (Claudia Kozak) were invited to speak there (thanks Vanina!), although we
are not really experts in “conserving, documenting, archiving” new media. We
proposed then to complement the leading concepts of the meeting with other
set of concepts: “exploring, examining, thinking”. The interplay between
these two sets of concepts could drive to a debate on the politics of
contemporary technological poetics. In short, we proposed a reflection on
the ways artistic practices, curator activities, documenting and archiving
interweave themselves on the Web.

Ludión is the website where our research group –attached to University of
Buenos Aires– explores the relationship between arts and technology from the
beginning of 20th Century on. We like to think on “intermedial technological
poetics” as those who purposely assume in different ways the insertion in
their own contemporary technological world. But we also understand them as
political, as there is always some kind of assumed position –contesting,
following and many other variations– in relation to hegemonic conceptions of
modernization which have usually linked technology with novelty and progress
in a non critical equation within the context of Modernity and
(Post)Modernity.
That is the reason why we rather prefer to explore technological poetics in
its political tensions concerning their shorter or longer distance from
imaginaries of technological modernization. When the distance manages to
grow, it is possible to read technological poetics as unsubmissive; an
option that we usually tend to think as more interesting than others.

Ludión, which takes its name from that remote gadget frequently, but
wrongly, held as invented by Descartes -at the same time experiment and toy-
proposes itself as field of reflexive crossways between two regimes of
production of the sensible within contemporary world: arts and technology.
But how can we undertake such reflexive goal within the same space which is
our own study object? Of course, we live in the same technological world as
many of the millions of inhabitants of this real and virtual planet, and
Ludión is a website as well. Not without doubts and contradictions we
explore this scenery, building at the same time a “weak archive”. We fumble
for different kinds of “techno-poetics-politics”. It is always tempting to
understand the critique of transmedia techno-poetics as if it were an
inventory of novelties in a relay. We nevertheless think that it is not
enough to inventory but to think what to focus on and how to do it in a
located way. Because in the context of globalization (or “glocalization” if
you prefer), Latin American critique of “techno-poetics-politics” is still
in construction. During the nineties we have witnessed a strong impulse to
re-colonize languages by a transnational multimedia industry which in our
specific Latin American context in addition to the global multimedia
languages (programming, global digital culture, for instance) tended to
reinvent “Iberoamérica” instead of “Latinoamérica”. Not only globalized
cultural agencies but communication corporations as Telefónica itself -which
sponsored even Taxonomedia meeting where we ourselves participated, we know
that- were/are part of this context. We do recognize the huge capacity of
management of such corporations in every realm included that of transmedia
techno-poetics, but we also believe that conserving, documenting, showing
and archiving this kind of art should be open to different ways of seeing.

Concerning the ephemeral nature of these sort of artistic practices and the
necessity of conserving/archiving them, I will try to send another post in a
few days

Best regards,

Claudia