[-empyre-] -empyre- June 2011: Biennales Plus and Minus

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 8 01:16:09 EST 2011

Hi, here's welcoming you for June with a welcome
addition of Linda Carroli to our featured guest
list:

June 2011 on -empyre- soft-skinned space

"Biennales Plus and Minus: Global
Interfaces/Digital Environments/Contemporary Arts"

http://empyre.library.cornell.edu

Moderated by Tim Murray (US) and Renate Ferro (US) with featured guests:

Ian Baucom (US),  Isak Berbic (UAE), Linda Carroli (Aus), Caterina
Davinio (Italy), Manuela de Barros (Fr), Kimberly
Lamm (US), Jolene Rickard (US)

To commemorate the opening of the 54th Venice
Biennale and other biennales happening throughout
2011, -empyre- hosts a discussion of "Biennales
Plus and Minus" in the context of considerations
of global interfaces, digital environments,
contemporary arts.  How might we understand the
status of the biennale model in the context of
global digital environments?   Is the Venice
model of artistic pavilions that feature "the
nation" commensurate with -empyre-'s more global
model of digital citizenry?  How might we
understand the promotional aspect of the
biennales in relation to the visibility they lend
to international contemporary art?   How do we
understand the valence of counter- or
anti-biennales, along the model of the Salon des
Refusés, that often accompany state-sponsored
biennales?  How do politics and ideology function
in relation to the biennale model?    What about
the economies of exclusivity, capital, and
patronage that drive the biennales?

Featured Guests:

Ian Baucom (US) is Director of the Franklin
Humanities Institute and Professor English at
Duke University.  Baucom works on twentieth
century British Literature and Culture,
postcolonial and cultural studies, and African
and Black Atlantic literatures. He is the author
of Out of Place: Englishness, Empire and the
Locations of Identity (1999, Princeton University
Press), Specters of the Atlantic: Finance
Capital, Slavery, and the Philosophy of History
(2005, Duke University Press), and co-editor of
Shades of Black: Assembling Black Arts in 1980s
Britain (2005, Duke University Press).

   Isak Berbic (UAE) is an artist, writer and
lecturer born in Bosnia and Herzegovina, at that
time called Yugoslavia. In 1992 as Yugoslavia
dissolved and Bosnia was under attack, he and his
family became refugees, moving from Croatia,
through the Czech Republic to a refugee camp in
Denmark, and lastly to the United States.  He
studied Photography, Film and Electronic Media at
the University of Illinois at Chicago. In
Chicago, he practiced art, worked in theater, and
was art director of a political monthly journal.
In 2007 he moved to the Middle East; United Arab
Emirates, where he currently teaches media at the
College of Fine Arts and Design, University of
Sharjah. He most recently co-curated an
exhibition in Sharjah, "Brief Histories," at the
same time as the Sharjah Biennale.

Linda Carroli (Aus) Linda Carroli is a Brisbane
based writer who blogs for [co]design studio, a
non-profit, multi-disciplinary community oriented
design organisation, and
writes a regular feature about urban innovation and creativity for Arts Hub.
She is an associate with Harbinger Consultants, working in community,
cultural and communications contexts. She has had significant involvements
in the art, science and technology field including fineArt forum and the
Australian Network for Art and Technology. She is currently working on two
blog-based writing and publishing projects: Changescaping (changing
practice/practicing change) and Placing (writing place/place writing), both
at http://placing.wordpress.com