[-empyre-] "(E)MOTION FREQUENCY

sonja lebos sonjalebos at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 20:00:33 EST 2011

Dear people,
I have enjoyed a lot the texts that you have shared so far this month. Johannes asked me to put forward some thoughts, connected to my work on space and memory. So here there come. The words that follow are assembled in a simple way, whereby I tried to briefly put the efforts that have lasted for more than a decade and still are pulling me into the future in a comprehensive format.
'I found myself moving through a city, while the  consciousness was forced only to develop concepts which could help me to avoid bumping into other people...or objects. Objects which are seemingly more powerful than those people'
Architects nowadays render virtual spaces, but we all know that the urbanism as a science of planning urban life has transgressed into something that ceased to be a playground where only architects, urbanists and politicians reign. Not because they abdicated on their free will, but because they were forced to admit that the idea of what urbanity could be had become too complex for that, once holy, trinity.
Throughout the XXth Ct urban life found its accessary in speed.  The more urban an environment is, the faster the pace of life should be performed in it. Why this paradigm of urbanity still reigns? Taxonomy of life in programmed habitation cells, architectures of power, endless slums surrounding cities or intersecting them ...why?
To talk about music is like to dance about architecture, Laurie said wittily not so long time ago. When architects in Bauhaus were not just dreaming, but also working on a concept of architecture in connection to concepts of music and movement, strongly connected to medium of light, photography and cinema, they couldn't even dream about people who were simultaneously preparing horror that produced one of the most profound civilizational intermission in the history of all civilizations. They didn't think about architecture and art on the same terms. They thought of it as – wartime propaganda. A sort of industry of culture. That also became known as the murderous industry. I find us living in a similar precarious times, where the cultural industries beloved by politicians and policy makers somehow still seduce artistic communities.
It all brought me to work with concepts of memory. Official narratives are present in history text books, our children being fed with it. They are also monolithized in public space. However, that paradigm is slowly being changed, too. Art in public space more and more is becoming ephemeral and temporary, without imposing one and only overstructured narrative.
In between, the skin of our cities still remains inflexible, and the choreographies of public spaces are shockingly limited and overly neurotic.  Unable to deal with the ambiguities of these choreographies, the majorities world –wide look for re-recreation in escapism and consumerism.
There were many intrinsic links between cinematic movement and emerging of modernist cities already at the end of the XIXth Ct. Unfortunately, architects and urbanists are rarely trained to identify these links and lighting in our cities is still boring and inadequate, while actually technology could allow imagination to go much further than over the borders of commercials hitting our retinas without mercy wherever we go.
The darkness, on the other hand, is scary as it has always been. I tried to combat this through projects where cities have been illuminated by imaginariums usually projected only in cinema-halls. Archive moving images have been transforming streets and squares into memorial mediascapes that have overgrown the simplified triviality of media-facades. The inflexible and harsh skin of cities has been softened by its own simulacra, where an interplay between shadow and light enabled new forms of urbanity to possibly emerge in large media-scapes.
Imagine Times Square, eg, bathed in light of a completely different kind.
Or, globally, think light, moving images and architecture emerging in forms not dominated by forces of wartime propaganda.
Imagine (e)motional deceleration as a notion of urbanity.