[-empyre-] Layers of ISEA2011: Corporate/Financial

Nicholas Knouf nak44 at cornell.edu
Sun Sep 18 05:52:15 EST 2011

The issue is not one of exoticism.  In each of the binaries you mention
below, I would chose neither: I'd rather have public transportation than
cars, no x-ray machines and metal detectors (I could care less what they
are wearing), non-profit conferences (ISEA is a non-profit, if I
remember, and I have posted many times on this list regarding my
distaste for ACM conferences), and a non-militarized presentation
location.  Perhaps this is cultural insensitivity; on the other hand, I
consider it necessary for the construction of a more sustainable and
more just world, and I am unclear about how Mercedes and financial
conglomerates contribute to that.

Tim's description and comparison of things is quite apt; thanks for the
detailed observations.  After
returning from both the Modern and the Biennial I was struck by exactly
the things Tim mentioned: the simultaneous lack of security (in the
Biennial, at least) and the
digital.  This contrast is something we ought to ponder carefully.

I have immensely enjoyed my time in Istanbul, my concerns regarding ISEA
notwithstanding.  From finding an anarchist-run cafe, to discussions
with artists involved in the Gun project by Claudia Pederson and Arzu
Ozkal, to the pleasure of good conversation and excellent food, Istanbul
has been wonderful.  But this shouldn't prevent us from continuing our
discussion of the problematics of ISEA this year and its resonances (or not) with the Biennial and/or global capital.

nick