[-empyre-] Layers of ISEA2011: Corporate/Financial

Tracey M Benson bytetime at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 16:56:49 EST 2011

i guess we all bring our own experience with us when we travel.  i was
just talking to someone yesterday about personal space and boundaries
- eg my level of anxiety on public transport etc as i am not used to
crowds... i guess in Canberra where I live there is very little
traffic and sometimes the city centre is completely empty! also we
rarely even see police on the streets, let alone the scary ones with
big guns and riot gear!!

all this aside i love Istanbul - it is a incredible city - here is a
blog i wrote recently:
http://geokult.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/istanbul-a-hybrid-city-of-contrasts/

off to face the crush on the tram now to head to Sabanci centre

caio

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Phillip George <p.george at unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> "riot clad police (in full body armor, with shields and batons, and guns)" - is sort of
> normal, (a bit confronting at first)  just be nice and walk around the gentlemen with
> the machine guns. You will generally not be stopped or harassed. If you wander
> down a street and they have their bayonets attached give them a bit more space.
>
> enjoy

Dr Tracey Meziane Benson (aka bytetime)
Adjunct Postdoctoral Fellow || The Australian National University ||
School of Music
Visiting Scholar || The Australian University || School of Cultural Inquiry
You can find bytetime on twitter, delicious, scribd, flickr, linkedin,
identica, slideshare and facebook.

websites:
www.byte-time.net
www.xconnectmedia.com