[-empyre-] re- Death of the Curator?

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 01:41:08 EST 2012

One of the best curators I had the priviledge to work with is Sarat
Maharaj, one of the most modest and low key curators I know. Born in South
Africa of Indian ancestors Maharaj was the co-curator of Documenta XI. He
is a researcher at Goldsmith and a professor in Lund, Sweden at the Art
Academy.
Sarat has done a wonderful job with Indian peasant women working with
textiles and memory, documenting catastrophes as 9/11 in knitted news, the
only way to inform the illiterate population about things happening in the
world outside India.
He is for me one of the curators who is challenging and redefining his own
role, combining Art and Activism inside the institutions and outside.
Ana

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Johannes Birringer <
Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk> wrote:

> hello Simon
>
> thx; I was only responding to the questions raised about text/literature
> being part of the dicsussion on curating, and mentioned the somewhat
> unusual idea
> of developing/turning a literary essay into a collaborative intermedia
> online project where the contributors are, so to speak, taking part in a
> group show
> without that the paramedial elements, that might emerge, are directed.
>
> With Wilson, and theatre in general, that issue of directorlessness is
> more complicated, and as they say in England, "devised theatre" sought to
> get around
> the autocratic positions that director-auteurs once had, and Bob Wilson is
> not a bad example of the auteur performance theatre, yes.  I enjoyed his
> early work.
> I think they are revisiting (for his 70th birthday) the "Einstein on the
> Beach"  collabioration; it is scheduled to be done in London in May. I
> don't think in Wilson's productions there was
> circus. It was all quite carefully precisioned, as far as i can remember,
> and yes, "the CIVIL warS" was an international co-production; in the theatre
> we never used to talk about curating.
>
> The decline of the director-auteur in theatre happened at the time when
> the curator-auteur began to appear, which may be a historical coincidence,
> yet impressarios always existed (Diaghilev), and their influence on
> marketing a brand (a ballet company, a theatre company, a director's work)
> was probably very significant ( i.e. the role of the Intendant in German
> state subsidized theatre institutions).
>
> Museum directors probably have had an equally powerful but vastly more
> influential position in the history of art and the canonization of modern
> art
> and the development of collections and archives; the same, I guess, might
> be true with patrons; I saw that books are now published on the role
> of patrons and "their museums" (e.g. museum founder Dominique de Menil in
> Houston; see "Art and Activism: Projects of John and Dominique de Menil
> New Haven: Yale UP, 2010), etc.
>
> But the role of curator is far from dead, i also see no reason for it to
> be fundamentally questioned, on the contrary, the rise of a younger or
> different generation
> of curators working/behaving as conceptual artists (simultaneously the
> more frequent occurrence of museums inviting artists to act as curators
> of their holdings to suggest new kinds of mise en scène for work from the
> collections) offered many stimulating projects, generated debate, fruitful
> dialogue and some resistances perhaps too, which is all good, and I am
> thinking of some of the folks that I heard about or whose shows i saw,
> Carlos Basualdo, Okwui Enwezor, Hans-Ulrich Obrist, Rajendra Roy,
> Catherine Morris, Hao Sheng, Peter Taub, Rosa Martínez, and so on, well,
> maybe some of them worked
> [...]

http://writings-escrituras.tumblr.com/
http://maraya.tumblr.com/
http://www.twitter.com/caravia158
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci