[-empyre-] Apache Projects

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 19 23:43:55 EST 2012

Oh how exciting!  Welcome Ellen. I have been absolutely swamped with
work.  My apologies for being silent these last couple of days.  Nate
also looking forward to hearing more about your project. Will post
again later.  Renate

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 4:42 AM, ellen pau <ellenpau.hk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim, Renate, Aram and Nate,
> Great to meet you all here.  Sorry that I can't make it last week because of a numbers of urgent civic actions. I will tell you more below.
> As Tim introduce me last week, I am working in Hong Kong mainly for Videoatge and Microwave new media festival.
> We are working on a number of projects, particularly on the upcoming version of  Wikitopia, that is a biennial event about collaborative futures.  This year, beside the curated unconference, performance, workshops, we will have an exhibition that is developed like an open sources projects, such as soundcloud, uncloud and github.
> I am very happy to to join in the discussion about curating.  Curating in Asia or particularly in Hong Kong is a growing hot topic, the city has a number of significant projects / events over the last two years. For Example : The mega project (~US$ 3 Billion project) The West Kowloon Cultural District ; another multi-million venture HKART12- (Art Basel bought 60% of Hong Kong Art Fair); the opening of Run Run Shaw Creative Media Centre where the highly respected Jeffrey Shaw is the dean of the School of Creative media of City University. Two years ago there was a small publication commissioned by Para/Site Art Space, co-edited by Alvaro Rodriguez Fominaya and Michael Lee, and published by Para/Site, Studio Bibliothèque  and seed | projects :" Who Cares? is an anthology that compiles 16 essays on curating art in and of Asia. One of the themes addresses the politics of care, commonly understood as the basic role of curators, with regards to art and artists, across time and contexts. Another theme revolves around markers of success in the realm of contemporary curating. A third recurring theme deals with curating in the globalised art world of advanced travel and communication technologies. A fourth theme reconsiders the audience as active producers in a curated experience. Through a variety of perspectives and literary styles, these texts constitute primary notes towards ‘curatorial criticism,’ a subfield of art criticism that identifies the new in curating today."
>
> I am more interested with the third and fourth themes. And that is probably accounts for my interest with Microwave New Media Festival and Wikitopia.
>
> Over the years, art practice in Hong Kong had changed a lot, starting from the "Cultural Desert" to the flourishing (whether you like the art or not) situation now. I observed that as the idea of collaborations between authors and audience grows, some artists move on to an artivist works (such as Leung Po, Wen Yau, Liu Wai Tong, Ger Choi, Complaints Choir of Hong Kong and many many more)

> [...]

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art
Cornell University
Department of Art, Tjaden Hall Office #420
Ithaca, NY  14853
Email:   <rtf9 at cornell.edu>
      http://www.privatesecretspubliclies.net
Lab:  http://www.tinkerfactory.net

Managing Co-moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre