[-empyre-] benefits of practice to conventional research / could gamification save academia?

Adam Parker aparker at qantmcollege.edu.au
Thu Feb 23 09:12:15 EST 2012

> Online gamification is usually a way of getting people to do work without
> monetary reward.
>
> And gamification has conceptual problems:

Agreed. From my perspective based inside the games discipline, gamification
is more interesting as a social phenomenon, as yet again a body of
knowledge is being viewed by management consultants as a silver bullet,
rather than as as an opportunity in motion.

Much of what it supposedly covers, games were already doing. Games in the
enterprise go back into the 1960s, in the military much further.

Furthermore, the interesting interdisciplinary linkages that could provide
real opportunities for renewal (e.g. challenging the rhetoric of efficiency
in interaction design) are things that gamification does not presently
explore.

Cheers,
Adam

--
Adam Parker
Campus Academic Coordinator

Qantm College Melbourne Campus
235 Normanby Rd
South Melbourne VIC 3205 Australia

+61 (0) 3 8632 3400   | Phone
+61 (0) 3 8632 3401   | Fax

**** 2011 MCV Pacific Awards: **Tertiary Games Educational Institution of
the Year ***
*

www.sae.edu  | Web
www.qantm.com.au  | Web
www.saeshortcourses.com  | Web

SAE National Provider Code: 0273. SAE CRICOS Provider Codes: NSW 00312F.
SAE Institute Pty Ltd, ABN: 21 093 057 973

This email (including all attachments) is confidential and may be subject
to legal privilege and/or copyright. The information contained within this
email (including all attachments) should only be viewed if you are the
intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete this email from your system along with
any copies that have been made. Any unauthorised use, which includes
saving, printing, copying, disseminating or forwarding is prohibited and
may result in breach of confidentiality, privilege or copyright. If you
wish to unsubscribe or choose not to receive further commercial electronic
messages from SAE Institute or any grouped/associated entities please send
an email this address with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line.