[-empyre-] Search, privacy, data

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 02:42:09 EST 2012

I think we are going to see more of this model in the future and I don't
see real differences between the databases kept by our governments and the
databases kept by Google or Facebook.
The difference is maybe the aim, the goals. The governments collect data
about us to control us and our movements, to be able to track us if our
dissent becames too dangerous or too subversive.
But the enterprises and corporations want to make profits selling our data
to third part.

However the real challenge should be to deny all these actors access to our
info, but i'ts not possible since we are using creditcards, paying bills
digitally and using the banks.

The Unabomber way of life is not possible anymore :(

Ana

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Tero Karppi <tjkarp at utu.fi> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'll start with a theme that is loosely related to privatization of the
> web & related platforms.
>
> On March 1st, Google will implement its new, unified privacy policy. This
> policy will affect data Google has collected on you as well as data it
> collects on you in the future. Until now Google Web History has been
> isolated from its other services. However with the new privacy policy in
> action Google will begin to combine information across its products.
> According to Electronic Frontier Foundation Google search data is
> particularly sensitive since it can reveal "information about you,
> including facts about your location, interests, age, sexual orientation,
> religion, health concerns, and more." Hence they have urged people to
> remove their Google Search History before the policy takes effect.
>
> Google, however, sees the new privacy policy as an improvement of their
> search; "Our search box now gives you great answers not just from the web,
> but your personal stuff too. So if I search for restaurants in Munich, I
> might see Google+ posts or photos that people have shared with me, or that
> are in my albums." In addition, the search will be able to better predict
> what you 'really' are looking for and target ads more accurately.
>
> Now, what interests me here, at a more abstract level, is the change we
> are witnessing in relation to data mining. Until now, more or less, the
> data we share in various platforms (browser, search, social media,
> iOS/Android etc.) has been mined, combined into statistics and potentially
> sold onwards but we haven't really seen it in action except in some more or
> less accurately targeted ads. However, now we are witnessing a throwback of
> our own data; Google begins to make the search more personal, Facebook has
> the frictionless sharing to name a few examples.
>
> What are the implications of this change? Is the 'social' media becoming
> now more 'individual' and 'personal'? What should we think of these
> algorithms that predict what we want?
>

> References
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-google-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy-takes-effect
>
> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/updating-our-privacy-policies-and-terms.html
>
> Best,
> Tero
>

> --
> Tero Karppi (MA)
> Doctoral Student | Media Studies | University of Turku
> http://www.hum.utu.fi/oppiaineet/mediatutkimus/en/tero_en.html

http://www.twitter.com/caravia15858
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/

mobil/cell +4670-3213370

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci