[-empyre-] OSW: open source writing in the network

tterranova tterranova at tiscali.it
Wed Jan 11 20:44:06 EST 2012

Dear all

first of all I think best wishes for 2012 are in order for everybody on
the list.

Secondly I would like to see whether I can start the discussion by
referring to some issues which I am currently thinking about and which
might be relevant to a debate on open models of publishing and writings
and the formation of communities around such efforts.

I have been struck that is by a theme that is emerging in analyses of
the Internet, and social networks in particular, which are focused on
the question of subjectivity, such as writings by Jodi Dean, Sherry
Turkle, Bernard Stiegler, Franco Berardi, Steven Shaviro etc. All these
authors, in different way, seem to underline the fact that networked
digital media are not simply technologies of communication, but
technologies involved in the production of subjectivity. Jodi Dean in
particular seem to be starting from her experience of writing a blog to
articulate a damning critique of the whole mechanism of
writing/reading/commenting text on the Internet, which she sees as
relying on the mobilization of compulsive drives (little bits of
pleasure inherent in the accumulation of small bits of 'new'
information) which ultimately leads to recuperation under the logic of
communicative capitalism. Sherry Turkle's latest book is also a quite
damning ethnography of what social and personal media are doing to a new
generation which is both tethered to their machines and scared of
intimacy. Franco Berardi has been warning us for over a decade about the
process of 'cognitive proletarianization' inherent in the speed of new
media.

I'm not saying that I agree with all these different perspectives, but
my questions to the list would be: in which ways do open practices of
publishing, writing and reading interact with the general attention
economy of networked media, where attention is defined as a 'scarce
commodity'? How can they be used to counteract some of the
compulsive/destructive dynamics of Internet readership? What do your
experiences tell us of the difference between social interaction on
corporate media platforms and social interaction on alternative, open
platforms? What is it that in your opinion ultimately defines the
quality and affective texture of communication on succesful open platforms?

looking forward to the rest of the discussion

tiziana terranova