[-empyre-] OSW: open source writing in the network

adam adam at flossmanuals.net
Sat Jan 14 01:36:55 EST 2012

On 01/13/2012 03:04 PM, Dmytri Kleiner wrote:
> On 13.01.2012 14:48, adam wrote:
>
>> Regardless, the opportunity is to take this moment and these
>> opportunities and make it work for us on scale. 2012 more than any
>> other year opens up publishing and if we miss this window we can only
>> blame ourselves. If we wait for the moment capitalism is abolished
>> then publishing will stay as it is for a very long time and then we
>> also only have ourselves to blame.
>
> I highly doubt that penguin classics is particular profitable. The
> series is simply just another way for a existing large publisher to
> maximize it's utilizing of productive and distributive capacity.
> Penguins productive and distributive capacities which where not built on
> the earnings of this series.

I dont know man, thats a pretty big claim and goes against what Pearson
says themselves (at least in their 2010 report with total profit up by
10% in penguin):
"good market share gains, particularly in English, supported by our high
quality print and digital learning materials and Penguin Classics."
http://www.pearson.com/media-1/announcements/?i=1306

also interestingly...

"eBook revenues were up 182% on the previous year and now account for 6%
of Penguin revenues worldwide."
http://www.pearson.com/media-1/announcements/?i=1387

adam

Adam Hyde