[-empyre-] OSW: open source writing in the network

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Jan 25 03:41:17 EST 2012

Hi Smita & all,

I want to try and respond clearly to some of the questions you pose below...

 >It’d be interesting to explore thoughts (and experiences) on IP
 >and development of open models of writing and publishing; how does
 >it hinder and can it help, ever?; the motivations behind the
 >use/development of open-models and the value attributed to such
 >use; role and meaning of collaborative authorship for the
 >participants. While several points in relation to these have
 >come up in a number of posts in the last two weeks, it’d be great
 >to develop them a bit further!

Firstly, anyone and group or institution who decides to close down
possibilities of shared distribution, whether this be publishing, an
on-line community/platform, or shared files; are proposing a power shift
based on principles. This communicates to its users/community, its
consumers "we are not open we are closed". The idea that this action
creates quality due to proposed ideas in accordance to curation or
similar conceptions, are either not acknowledging, not listening or are
not aware or do not actually care; of the social disconnect and its
consequences when closing down a 'culturally free-zone'.

If we are discussing traditional journalism in the UK, most of the
individuals writing in these columns are either celebrities or ex oxford
and Cambridge students. This declares that class distinction, status and
privilege is the deciding factor in respect of who is worthy of
'official' respect and support amongst the ranks of news related
'printed & on-line media'. This spurious notion that (quality) selection
is objective and in the end creates a higher quality press is a myth, it
has more to do with upholding positions of power over others.

If we are to evolve beyond the limitations and the tyranny over
consciousness, it begins with suborning law or bending it in accordance
to our needs at the time. Because, as usual the elites are never ready
to accept the needs of others, only their own immediate needs. Hence the
constant building of stronger established frameworks and protocols in
order to make their positions less vulnerable, by only letting in
particular individuals into their fold that accept or become complicit
with 'upper' peer agreements which, strengthening the infrastructures of
these pantheons - in the Max Weber sense of the word.

This is why a blurring of what is deemed as 'legitimate' publishing has
to happen, so that we can all re-asses these matters on a more level
field, with the inclusion of publicly shared distribution models. Which
is why discussions such as this on Empyre are important.

In my next post to you and all, I will offer actual examples referring
some of the experiences and projects I have been involved in, as well as
sharing comparisons that aim to highlight hermetically sealed cultures
that act to close things of, relating to the very issues discussed above.

Wishing you well.

marc
> [...]
> emails to the thread. I hope everyone can remain engaged as we move
> into the third week.
> >
> > To recap the theme: in a globalised and highly mediated context we
> wish to focus empyre discussion on how writing and publishing are
> currently evolving in the context of global networks. We hope to
> engage a debate about open models of writing and publishing and gain
> insight into how changes in notions and practices of authorship,
> media, form, dissemination, intellectual property and economics affect
> writing and publishing as well as the formation of the
> reader/writerships, communities and the social engagement that must
> flow from that activity. Specifically, we wish to look at examples of
> open publishing, whether they be FLOSS manuals, copyLeft or
> CopyFarLeft or other publication models, in order to look at new
> methods for knowledge making and distribution. We also wish to
> consider how communities of shared-value emerge through such
> initiatives and how their members are able to identify themselves to
> one another and others.
> >
> > This week's facilitator is Smita Kheria and our guests are Joss
> Hands and Marc Garrett.
> >
> > Marc Garrett is an activist, artist, writer and co-director/founder
> (with artist Ruth Catlow) of internet arts collective
> http://www.furtherfield.org (since 96) and the Furtherfield Gallery &
> social space in London. Through these platforms various contemporary
> media arts exhibitions and projects are presented nationally and
> internationally. Marc also hosts a weekly media arts radio programme
> on Resonance FM, co-edited the publication "Artists Re: thinking
> games" and is editing a new publication "Conversations As We Leave The
> 21st Century". He is currently undertaking a PhD at Birkbeck
> University, London.
> >
> > Joss Hands is a lecturer at Anglia Ruskin University where he is
> Director of the Anglia Research Centre in Digital Culture
> (ARCDigital). His research interests are at the intersection of
> technology, new media, politics and critical theory. His focus has
> been in two main areas. The role of technology in providing an arena
> for the expression of dissent and the organisation of resistance
> movements and the role of technology in more formal democratic
> procedures, specifically the role of the Internet in contributing
> towards the development of deliberative democracy. He has recently
> completed a book on digital activism, "@ is for Activism: Dissent,
> Resistance and Rebellion in a Digital Culture", published by Pluto Press.
> >
> > Smita Kheria is a lawyer and lecturer in law at the University of
> Edinburgh. Her focus of interest is intellectual property law and
> issues around authorship, especially concerning artists' practices
> with new media. Smita is an associate of SCRIPT: the AHRC Research
> Centre for Studies in Intellectual Property and Technology and is
> Supervising editor (Intellectual Property) for SCRIPT-ed, the journal

Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield