[-empyre-] comments welcome

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu Jan 26 21:31:07 EST 2012

Hi Adam,

 >I'd welcome any help strengthening this book.

I intend to view but there seems to a problem with your server at the
moment...

Anyway - Love the passion behind Floss Manuels...

As Rob Myers said in a review of the project on Furtherfield in 2008 "it
is a matter of freedom, not price. Like freedom of speech or freedom of
the press the freedom to use software is important for a free society."
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews/floss-manuals

I have been on your mailing list for a few years now, lurking and
reading the constant dialogue by the many on there.

Recently, I have been thinking about 'subtle' and 'animistic' forms of
power. Where ecologies of freedom can adapt and find grounded values
beyond hegemonic means. For me, this relates to people inhabiting
environments, where human agency explores possibilities of recliaming a
social meaning (together) through shared processes and regular skill
exchange. And even though this is prevalant in grass roots culture and
free and open source culture, it is interesting to ask what this need
is. I feel it goes deeper than technology and even politics; that
technology and politics are both tools for implimenting certain aspects
of these needs, but do not necessarily pull us straight into the crux of
the finer nuances of what is being asked emotionally, psychologically
and culturally.

So when I say 'subtle', I mean a gradual encompassing of a shared set of
meanings, being defined through lived practices by those who wish to dig
deeper through situations of ritualizing their activities, sources and
powers. Thus, initiating a grounded experience where the meaning is not
just practical, but is also productive due to the ecologies being
redefined in imaginative ways that connect profoundly to communal
peer-ownership.

Yet, even this is not enough. For what I am trying to get at here seems
to question many aspects of post-modern culture as well as
hyper-capitalism, and even faith in networked culture. This voyage into
reshaping particular fundementals of technology, peer 2 peer culture,
and social mutualism, must have an inner 'current', other than the
electricity being used up. What are the values being sought after which
say more than the word 'freedom', and if we take away the technology
binding us together here, what can we build where its equivilant can be
flourish?

What do you reckon?

Wishing you well.

marc

--
Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield