[-empyre-] screens

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Sat Jul 7 19:50:39 EST 2012

I know Flash isn't needed. I use Java and Processing and they support vector graphics, with or without HTML5. The reason Flash is becoming unsustainable is lack of support for its engine on mobile media. I've heard that Adobe are considering adding an export function that will allow files to run with HTML5, platform blind, so it might not die anyway.

However, this has nothing to do with screens.

I think the current debate, about types of screens, is off piste from the original theme, which was to do with agency. Yes, different types of screens will have different affects and effects. But the key point was that we have moved from the more or less passive screen (whether a blank surface and projector assembly or an all in one CRT, plasma or LCD panel) to active and pervasive screens. Screens that we interact with, that form our environment, that control other devices - screens that actively mediate agency and can, in some cases, act upon things without human involvement. This takes consideration of the screen into frameworks concerning ontology, rather than aesthetics. Cronenberg fantasised about this in relation to video and TV but the technologies we have now aren't fantasy and are very different to what now seem quaint pieces of kit. Perhaps Gulf War 1, with laser guided bomb POV video on our nightly news, was when the change began, where the screen assembly became both targeting and recording mechanism, just as in Vietnam the portapak transformed the moving image camera. We have come a way since then. But let's try to avoid Virilio...

best

Simon

On 6 Jul 2012, at 18:18, Rob Myers wrote:

> On 07/06/2012 02:16 PM, Simon Biggs wrote:
>> With the death of Flash it's not just the vector based screen on its way
>> out (that's been on the way out ever since Evans and Sutherland invented
>> the framestore at the start of the 1970's) but also vector based
>> graphics (or at least one commercial application).
>
> Flash isn't needed for vector graphics on the web, though. Even if we don't use SVG, the html5 canvas tag supports all the usual vector graphics operations, and there are JavaScript libraries to support this:
>
> http://raphaeljs.com/
>
> http://d3js.org/
>
> http://calebevans.me/projects/jcanvas/index.php
>
> - Rob.