[-empyre-] July on empyre: Screens

Kriss Ravetto kravetto at ed.ac.uk
Sun Jul 8 02:27:36 EST 2012

> Hi Brian,

> Plus, those who want to derive the forms of subjectivity from the latest technology generally underestimate the lags, inertial effects and overlays of past and present to which human populations are subject. The persistence of the archaic is often very troubling, but it can also be a resource of emancipation or at least of heterogeneity in a technologically unifying world.
I like the notion of consciousness as lag, and trouble that it has the potential to cause.
>  But there are a range of outcomes to that process of breakup and recombination.
Here is where we might want to connect with Martin's turn toward (and Johannes' question about) remediation.  Sounds like we are salvaging, or to use Varda's term gleeners, rather than in the new paradigm.
best,
Kriss