[-empyre-] screens

tarek elhaik tarekelhaik at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 01:32:32 EST 2012

Allow me to join the conversation on a personal anecdote, a political
modernist one in a way, filtered with the sensibility of an anthropologist
who things with moving-images and screens. Hope it's relevant to some
issues regarding abstraction, modernism, and materiality fascinatingly
circulating here.

I was recently making travel arrangements to attend an event in Algiers in
a conference aiming at rethinking the affective and political legacy of
1962, year of the algerian independence. The itinerary i chose was in sync
with the internationalist 'spirit' of the film i am to present at the
conference (Solana's The Hour of the Furnaces) and it resonated with the
tricontinental cinematic imaginary and the chronotope evoked by the
datum/plateau 1962. Bay area/americas (black panthers from oakland, san
francisco where i teach and live), rome (pontecorvo, pasolini),
algiers.(iconic capital of the 60s, like la havana or mexico city).  In the
days i was making these travel arrangements the 50th anniversary of
Algerian independence (July 5th, 1962) was being celebrated, often ad
nauseum, with boring, official, FLN like tone. It was also the week where i
was reading the fascinating conversation on empyre. So, for instance, last
week I could view on French and Algerian television networks (from arte to
the history channel, to maghreb tv, to algerian television, etc) a litany
of programs on the topic.  A few days ago, i also had the opportunity to
view some of these programs on a tiny, individual screen on a flight
between Rabat and Rome, Footage from the Rosselinian's sounding film
"Algerie, annee Zero"showed footage of the historical visit of che guevara
to algiers.  Electronic maps of the region and flight itinerary would at
times interrupt and punctuate the broadcast, showing various permutations
of locations flown over, from Murcia, Oran, Algiers, Sardinia, and so on,
linked by a continuous white line, alternating names in french and
arabic. The screen had become, for a moment, the site where brain, cinema
and geography entered into a zone of indisctinction. If Deleuze's notion of
the brain is the screen has more than metaphorial purchase this was the
moment where i had the chance to experience it. The screen as event,
ethnographic and neurocinematic, at once, irrespective of Tarek the
spectator. I felt fleetingly the enigma of the gift, the circulation of the
gift as enigma, to quote from the anthropologist maurice godelier, and the
joy of living for a moment amidst these moving-images. Images that,
although mostly official and nationalist in tone, revealed the incurable
excess that never ceases to manifest itself, always unexpectedly.
Somethibng of 1962 remained, something of 1962 as chronotope remained on
these screens, something intractable insisting like a refrain, beyond both
colonial and nationalist appropriations. This gift that erupted on this
variety of screens (tv, airplaine monitors, etc) was perhaps nothing less
and nothing more than a notion that the people continously invents itself,
continously lives on. In the  midst of the so-called arab spring, the
screen became, once again, the site of repetition of incurable images, if i
may call them so. Incurable images that need the screen with which they are
bound with a pact of recurrence,  Images that will come back in the future,
episodically so to speak, to remind us we ought to firmly believe in the
distinction between the work of the people in revolt (and not just
peasants, workers, intellectuals, etc) and the official history that
subsumes that work.  Could we call screen anything that enables this kind
of ethical operation that connects overwhelming affect with a political
project that was highjacked from the people? It goeoes without saying, this
is only ONE form of interacting and using the screen with indifference to
its medium specificity.

thanks all for the stimulating conversation.

Tarek