[-empyre-] Matter

mez breeze netwurker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:24:46 EST 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Martin Rieser <martin.rieser at gmail.com>wrote:

> My point is that when data is omnipresent and can be related to location
> we should think of the screen as a movable object inserted into the cloud
> to create  a 'slice' through a world which has its own dimensionality-not
> just a 'virtual' one but one linked to 'the real in many ways'- this
> phenomenon can be seen in the uses of Layar , Four Square etc, but also in
> artworks which exploit the convergence of real and virtual affects.

cf:

"1. Dimensionality defines working concepts of reality.
2. Theoretically, dimensionality can also expand to define a spectrum of
nascent social actions.
3. These particular social actions encompass communication trends defined
by synthetic interactions.
4. Synthetic interactions create social froth that can be produced
geophysically or geolocatively. Both connection types depend on relevant
electronic gesturing.
5. This mix of synthetic interactions and electronic gesturing provokes a
descriptive framework of this aggregated sodality. This framework is termed
Social Tesseracting.
6. In order to adequately formulate Social Tesseracting, contemporary
theorists need to extend “valid” reality definitions based currently on the
endpoint of the geophysical.

In assessing the growing ethological importance of Social Tesseracting, the
following markers demand examination:

a) Social White-Space: Just as with the convention of white space in
graphic design, social tesseracts manifest in habituated actions performed
routinely over a substantiated period [think: responding to smartphone
emails during geophysical-based discourse]...Social white space exists in
synthetically mediated consciousness via overlaying reality clusters. These
clusters may exist outside of the geoloaded end of the Reality-Virtuality
Continuum [ie the locatable "real person"]. Conjunctive or intermediary
areas of connectivity mediate this “primary” reality state [think:
Information Shadowing, the Network Effect and Warnock's Dilemma]. Social
white-space is currently effecting educative goals and is altering
engagement within the workplace.

b)  Immediation: the instantaneous modification of remote events via the
removal of geo-specific time lag. Immediation highlights the impact
potential of synthetic connectors. Examples of Immediation in action:

* The overwhelming social network usage during the 2009 Iranian Election
and corresponding protests and the July 2009 riots in China.
* A charity-oriented social network that encourages altruism. Users
synthetically don a digital wristband and donate online to the
corresponding colour coded organisation.

c) Regenerative Comprehension: indicated by rapid shifts in the nature of
content creation and absorption. A primary example is Twitter’s
Other examples include:

* Institutionalised settings validating abbreviated textspeak.
* Gradual modification of standardised literacy conventions [think:
seamless acceptance of typographical errors and upper and lower case
montaging].
* Real-time lifestreaming effecting established cognition patterns [think:
Active Narrative Gathering in Social Games]. Aggregated lifesharing also
influences user-generated functionality shifts [think: communication
workarounds].
* Haptic mobile devices requiring screencentric adaptations.

d) Process Centering: Social Tesseractions are marked by fluid,
process-oriented engagement rather than rigid procedural structuring.
Process centering prompts a re-evaluation of data formation and alters the
entrenched importance of institutionalised categorisations..."

[ From:
http://arsvirtuafoundation.org/research/2009/06/01/_social-tesseracting_-part-2/]