[-empyre-] July on empyre: Screens (week 4)

BIGGS Simon s.biggs at ed.ac.uk
Mon Jul 23 01:23:40 EST 2012

Welcome to week four of our empyre discussion on the topic of screens. We would like to thank this past week's invited discussants Sean Cubitt and Scott McQuire, as well as all the empyre members who have contributed to the discussion over the past three weeks.

After the debate of the first week, considering what defines a screen as a screen and the scope of our topic, the second week addressed the inter-agency of the apparatus of (or around) the screen and its viewers/users. That the screen has shifted from being primarily an object of visual contemplation to something we employ in our interactions with other things was considered. In week three the screen's historical and theoretical context was discussed and challenged. Nevertheless, the technical character of the apparatus remained a focus, with consideration given to how the structure of the screen (the Cartesian form of the electronic image, with the pixel its primary unit) normalises behaviour and affect. Sean Cubitt proposed this as a form of techno-aesthetics. This raises the question whether the granularity of this display device, that dominates our mediated perception of the world, functions to condition our sense of time, space and consciousness, beyond the screen. Do we become similarly internal and socially discrete beings, both in and of the grid - or do we blur as the system fails to account for rapid change and polyvalence?

This weeks invited discussants are:

Ursula Stalder, University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Luzern, Switzerland.
Ursula Stalder is a communication and Media Strategist and Senior Researcher and Lecturer at Lucerne University of Applied Sciences in the School of Business. She is founder and managing partner of Achtgrad AG (Eightdegrees Ltd.) for Digital Excellence, Zurich. She holds a master’s degree from the University of Zurich in the humanities.

Rafael Lozano-Hemmer, Montréal, Québec, Canada.
Rafael Lozano-Hemmer is a Mexican-Canadian artist. In 2007 he was the first artist to officially represent Mexico at the Venice Biennale with an exhibition at Palazzo Van Axel. He has also shown at Biennials in Sydney, Liverpool, Shanghai, Istanbul, Seville, Seoul, Havana, New Orleans, Singapore and Moscow. His public artwork has been commissioned for events such as the Expansion of the European Union in Dublin, the memorial for the Tlatelolco student massacre in Mexico, the 50th anniversary of the Guggenheim Museum in New York and the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. His work is in collections such as MoMA New York, Jumex in Mexico, Daros in Zürich and TATE London. www.lozano-hemmer.com<http://www.lozano-hemmer.com/>

Erkki Huhtamo, UCLA, USA.
Erkki Huhtamo is a media archaeologist, writer and exhibition curator and holds a PhD in Cultural History. He has written extensively on media archaeology and media arts, an emerging critical approach he has pioneered (together with a few other scholars) since the early 1990's. It excavates forgotten, neglected and suppressed media-cultural phenomena, helping us penetrate beyond canonised accounts of media culture. Huhtamo pays particular attention to the "life" of topoi, or clichéd elements that emerge over and over again in media history and provide "molds" for experiences. What may seem novel often proves to be new packaging of ideas repeated during hundreds and even thousands of years. In recent years, Professor Huhtamo has applied this approach to phenomena such as peep media, the notion of the screen, games and mobile media. Erkki's most recent book is Media Archeology (with Jussi Parikka), University of California Press.

Simon Biggs
simon at littlepig.org.uk<mailto:simon at littlepig.org.uk> http://www.littlepig.org.uk/ @SimonBiggsUK skype: simonbiggsuk

s.biggs at ed.ac.uk<mailto:s.biggs at ed.ac.uk> Edinburgh College of Art, University of Edinburgh
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/  http://www.elmcip.net/  http://www.movingtargets.co.uk/
MSc by Research in Interdisciplinary Creative Practices
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/degrees?id=656&cw_xml=details.php

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.