[-empyre-] Meillassoux / Harman

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Jun 15 04:57:32 EST 2012

On 06/14/2012 07:02 PM, Ian Bogost wrote:

> As for queer and feminist formulations, I agree with the spirit of what
> you say, but I'll reiterate my observation that SR/OOO is moving in a
> slightly different direction—one that concerns toasters and quasars as
> much as human subjects (note the "as much as" here). Why not take this
> work for what it is, at least for starters, rather than for what it
> isn't?

The "as much as" is precisely the problem.

Galloway's critique of OOO that Zach mentioned explains why:

http://itself.wordpress.com/2012/06/03/a-response-to-graham-harmans-marginalia-on-radical-thinking/

But I wouldn't lump Meillassoux in with Harman. I think Meillassoux's
philosophy can indeed be interesting for this debate because of its
embracing of contingency and possibility.

- Rob.