[-empyre-] Imagining | Creating Collaboration

Jon Winet jon.winet at gmail.com
Sat May 5 03:06:58 EST 2012

On the fly,* With thanks to Anne for the opportunity to participate in
this panel:  in my first post, I have found it impossible to resist
including a link to a 1972 Xerox television commercial that turned up
last week on "The Verge."

"Xerox commercial from 1972 shows the computer as your personal assistant"**
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/26/2976870/xerox-alto-commercial-1972-personal-assistant

So much to deconstruct in those sixty seconds created forty years ago,
but I will resist putting the ad up on the workbench and taking it
apart,*** but rather just reiterate that Xerox PARC is the shared
connective tissue for Anne and her five guests. So to, I believe is
our collective interest in collaboration, and a strongly held belief
that it's the best practice for the creation of design, public
humanities and art that matters.

* If this post had footnotes: the first would note that "on the fly"
is an all together too common a  turbulent state we live in.

** the  second footnote submits for your consideration Alan Kay's
quote about the future, uttered a year prior at a Xerox PARC  meeting
– according to wikiquote. I used to find the quote chilling, but now
increasingly find it practical, so long as the right people are
embracing it.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Alan_Kay

*** the final footnote, linked to the first notes that while the Xerox
ad states that our most precious resource is information, I am
increasingly and unequivocally sure that our most precious resource is
in fact _time+. While I realize this may seem to many of the readers
on the empyre list as a Fred Flintstone kind of an observation, I do
think some of the challenges of designing culture must involve a basic
reconsideration of values, and this is something that drives our
research and Anne's book.

I look forward to the conversation ahead, and close with the
clarification that post below [Beginning with "As Crane/Winet ...] is
actually by our colleague and my longtime collaborator Margaret Crane,
who earlier in the week had some trouble posting to empyre, so had
Anne do so for her.