[-empyre-] social media as revolutionary technology?

Andrew Schrock aschrock at usc.edu
Mon May 14 02:23:50 EST 2012

To throw two related ideas out there -- mobile interfaces and media ecologies. I'm wondering aloud here: how to think about "bigness" on a global scale, while taking into account differing cultures, rituals and practices?

The mobile interface accesses layers of information through what could be argued is a natural extension of the ideas behind ubiquitous computing and design work coming out of Xerox (that you all are more intimate with than I am) that focuses on context. Mobile devices allow access to information connected by location, as a kind of bundling or inscription, to co-create place. Mobile interfaces are also increasingly adopted in non-western contexts -- not too many big screens in most African countries. They do however have a booming trade in cell phones and economics based on cell phone minutes.

Dale's "the place's discovery of you" is an interesting re-framing... we often we assume that people use location to access layers of information, or use technology to go somewhere. But this seems too simplistic to describe what are essentially embodied interactions. Jon points out that mass media and large public screens co-exist; Johannes talk about the friction between "hi-tech concepts" and "low street life." We're living in very hybrid space & times. Maybe we could think of this as a media environment that people can draw on to construct individual (and only partly portable) media ecologies. And how people interact with technologies when the personal and public is routinely blurred is an increasingly complex question. It also intimately involves space as neighborhoods, census tracks, zones, etc... and mapping technologies. The way google maps operates is very westernized... there's a lot of interest around me about the infrastructuring role of APIs, through a Leigh Star mode of though and also Gidden's notion of structuration.

Genevieve Bell is wonderfully articulate about this as a technological anthropologist... about how the question of "where am I" is also a question of "where am I going?" People's proprioception is often articulated in ways other than map-like graphics... if you have time to view highly recommend...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A2481RJsUg

Andrew Schrock
USC Annenberg Doctoral Student
Twitter:	@aschrock