[-empyre-] WELCOME TO THE NOVEMBER DISCUSSION ON EMPYRE:

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 5 16:24:48 EST 2012

November on –empyre- soft-skinned space:
Risk: From Culture to Practice

Moderated by Timothy Murray (US) and Renate Ferro (US) with invited discussants
Week 1 November 3rd
 Bishnupriya Ghosh <bg366 at cornell.edu>,
 Bhaskar Sarkar <bs668 at cornell.edu>,

Week 2 November 10th
"William C. Leiss" <wcl54 at cornell.edu>,
“Stewart Ayash” < auyash at ithaca.edu>

Week 3:  November 17th
To be announced

Week 4: November 24th
Paulina Aroch Fugellie <pa288 at cornell.edu>,
Patty Keller <keller.patty at gmail.com>,

TO MAKE A POST TO THE SUBSCRIPTION LIST USE:
empyre at lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au

TO ACCESS TEN YEARS WORTH OR ARCHIVES USE THIS URL:
http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/

TO ACCESS THE WEBSITE FROM THE CORNELL SERVER TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT
EMPYRE GO TO: http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/

Risk:  From Culture to Practice

Responding to issues that surfaced in last week’s Cornell University
conference on Risk at Humanities on the eve of Superstorm Sandy, which
has rocked New York and New Jersey, -empyre- will spend the month of
November holding a discussion of “Risk: From Culture to Practice.” We
have invited participants in the conference at the Society for the
Humanities to reflect on the conceptual
notion of risk, from the historical to the theoretical, from the
biological to the ecological.  This month moderators Tim Murray and
Renate Ferro ask how risk dialogues with broader  artistic,
biological, ecological, economic, and technological approaches to
culture and practice.

Given the recent devastation of the hurricane and tropical storm
Sandy, we anticipate continued reflection on accident, danger, and
uncertainty. How
might risk lie at the heart of ritual and religion / legislation and
government / letters and art, technology and science?
How do scholarly and artistic practices cut across and against
boundaries depend on and profit from risk?

Risk @ empyre soft-skinned space this  month sits on unstable terrain.
What might it mean to research risk in relation to economic collapse,
environmental degradation, immunological threat, or military
incursion?

Artistic form and practice themselves also contribute to an ongoing
understanding of risk. How might experiments in new media articulate
aesthetic interventions across the topography of risk? Might new
electronic and digital networks, mobilities, and artistic projects
threaten or empower the arts?

Our –empyre- subscribers are invited to share their own ideas,
instances, and inferences of risk across geographies, historical
periods, disciplinary boundaries, social contexts and digital
networks.  In the face of superstorms, global warming, and
geopolitical instabilities, we look forward to a dialogue between
empyreans and our guests currently researching Risk at Cornell's
Society
for the Humanities.

Biographies will follow.

Our heartfelt thoughts go out to all of our colleagues and friends in
the greater New York, New Jersey area as well as the other areas that
were ravaged by the storm, Sandy. Many of you remain without power and
electricity.  Others of you are dealing with damage and devastation to
your homes and your work. Please know  that we are thinking of you
all.

Renate Ferro and Tim Murray

--

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art

Managing Co-moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre