[-empyre-] Welcoming

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 19 14:54:42 EST 2012

Thanks to Stewart Auyash and William Leiss for being our guests last
week for the November discussion on risk. Stewart's experience with
SARS and William's discussion of the recent political metrics and its
influences on Obama's Presidential win were among the highlights of
the week's discussion.

We would like to introduce Anna Watkins Fisher and Annie McClanahan
for  Week 3 of our discussion on Risk.  We look forward to their
thoughts on our topic and encourage our subscribers to freely post
their own responses.

Anna Watkins Fisher received her Ph.D. from Brown University in the
Department of Modern Culture and Media and works in the areas of
performance and media studies, experimental art, queer and feminist
studies, and critical theory.  Fisher has published in TDR (The Drama
Review), WSQ (Women's Studies Quarterly), Artforum and e-flux
journal's Art&Education, Le Texte étranger, and Women and Performance:
A Journal of Feminist Theory.

Annie McClanahan is an Assistant Professor of English at the
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. She received her Ph.D. in English
from UC Berkeley in 2009 and was a 2009-2010 postdoctoral fellow at
the Humanities Center at Harvard University. She is currently a
Society Fellow at the Cornell Society for the Humanities, where she is
completing a book titled Dead Pledges: Debt, Crisis, and 21st Century
Culture. She has published on the ideologies of financialization, the
doctrine of preemption, and the politics of student debt. Most
recently, her essay "Dead Pledges: Debt, Horror, and Credit Crisis"
appeared in the online journal Post-45 Peer Reviewed.

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art
Cornell University
Department of Art, Tjaden Hall Office #420
Ithaca, NY  14853
Email:   <rtf9 at cornell.edu>
      http://www.privatesecretspubliclies.net
Lab:  http://www.tinkerfactory.net

Managing Co-moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre