[-empyre-] videos/docs on debt, university, state

threads at wildernesspuppets.net threads at wildernesspuppets.net
Fri Nov 30 08:51:23 EST 2012

Hi Tim.

I am jumping in without knowing if these references have been discussed
here before...so, apologies if these references are already in circulation
on this list...

A remarkable, short documentary made by media artist Brian Springer,
related to the closing, only a few years ago of Antioch College in Yellow
Springs, Ohio, can be found at this link:

http://blip.tv/antiochpapers/antioch-confidential-701769

It was part of a larger online project  (with parallels to wikileaks),
relative to the administration of Antioch College and its public
interface.

http://theantiochpapers.org/

Chris Hill, media historian and one of the many professors who lost their
jobs when Antioch closed, was intensely involved in efforts to save the
school.  She recently completed an essay she was invited to write on the
communications projects that proliferated during the crisis.  It was
written for Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology (I don't know
if the publication is out yet, but I could give you her email address to
request a pdf copy.).  Her essay is thoroughly detailed and I highly
recommend it! The essay is titled "Emergency!—Resistance and
Recollection:Responses to Closure at Antioch College".

Chris is a fountain of information.

Also, Chris could put you in touch with Keiko Sei, who has vast experience
with the politics of media education (sometimes institutional and
sometimes underground) in regions from Czech Republic to Southeast Asia.
Chris has an interview with Keiko published in the book, "The Aesthetics
of Risk" edited by John C. Weichman, 2008.

best regards,

Barbara

Barbara Lattanzi
Associate Professor of Interactive Arts