[-empyre-] Addendum to Sustenazo Pat II

Monika Weiss gniewna at monika-weiss.com
Wed Oct 3 10:58:48 EST 2012

Monika Weiss -- Addendum to Sustenazo Pat II:

In many languages the word “people” contains an inherent contradiction and fracture within itself, between the “sovereign People” and the le people, les malheureux.  Modern “people” claim to have constructed an environment that forbids and prevents violence and assumes the sanctity of human body. Violence is thus displaced and hidden, especially institutional violence and especially in the most developed countries. Violence and archive interact and merge, as power exercises itself at the level of everyday life. I am interested in the problematic described among others by Michel Foucault as the promise of enlightenment that was expected to bring freedom through the mind, but became a domination of the mind, which replaced freedom. In Sustenazo, fragments of the archive appear marginal and unresolved. They invite us to pay attention to their marginality. These hospital notes, personal documents, and voices of witnesses do not sum up into a coherent narrative. As Foucault has said in his introduction to a book that was never written, La Vie des hommes infames „these minimal biographies are singular lives, changed into strange poems through the unknown irony of destiny.“

Performed and inhabited, Lament responds to loss and historical trauma. Lament is both real and imagined, a conversation conducted through the fragile veil dividing our immanent being from its disappearance. The collapse of language in rituals of lamentation underlines their political power achieved through public, collective, transnational, repetitive and performative acts. Ancient rituals of lamentation offer a ground for contemporary reflection, with both poetic and political consequences, evoking the potentiality for interconnectedness through transformative acts of inscription and becoming, that erase fixed boundaries.

The encounter happens between unknown elements. Subjectivity transcends its abstracted theoretical form, becoming "a journey through encounters and also ethical and political relations between strange, foreign, irreducible elements of otherness in our encounters with human and even non-human events in the world"(Bracha Ettinger). To follow Ettineger's thought, we can understand aspects of subjectivity as encounter occurring at shared borderspaces between several partial-subjects, is to never be entirely united nor totally lost, but sharing and processing, within difference, elements of each unknown other.

Overcoming language, the self multiplies and dissipates as Lament (leros) becomes a site of exchange, co-disappearance and co-emerging.