[-empyre-] II

Jonathan Marshall Jonathan.Marshall at uts.edu.au
Wed Oct 10 15:01:16 EST 2012

Diane writes much which is amazing and interesting....

>Also, it seems to me that there is something about immersive VR experiences that persist.
>Not all, to be sure. And it is obvious that training is an area where the effects persist.
>But there is an aspect I can't yet articulate that seems to stick in one's teeth,
>or to haunt in a powerful way, beyond hype or utopian fantasies or novelty . . . but that is still coming, as you say.

One thing i can remember from Doom, was that at night in bed i could still feel my eyes flickering and see the screen

but i wonder if that had more to do with screen refresh rates than with the 'game reality'?

>>that is in the idea of power that is not quite present

>Yes, exactly. And again, I think it may touch something that is beyond
>novelty, or perhaps beyond the technological imaginary too.
>More on this?

Well i'd be interested in more....

i wonder if the idea of hidden power or underlying basis, is something to do with the ways our imagination works, and the ways that it build up the world - a bit like the way Bachelard points out that often fire is seen as a hidden life already present in things.  so when we perceive the image we think there is something under it?

>Yes, it is difficult to talk about peculiar characteristics of a media form without seeming to valorize it,
>or without asserting that any media form can provoke. Just for the record, I think VR is as interesting
>as other forms -- we also have a furry robot, for instance, that mitigates anxiety (a common sequelae of chronic pain)
>better than VR.

what does the robot do?

>Add to that the fact that conservatively, 1 in 5 people in industrialized countries are estimated
>to have it, no one knows what causes it or what can cure it.

that figure is extraordinary - but indicates the neglected importance of pain - especially given that pain is so often thought of as a fault....

>Most people can't even wrap
>their heads around the idea that pain can be a DISEASE (systemic disorder where the pain response
>system "gets stuck" at a very high rate), let alone a degenerative one that kills -- eventually.

Are we running from pain, to make life bearable?
Is the world of non-pain, the virtual we made in order to live?

>But, for example, a standard (1 of 6) protocol for chronic pain self-management programs
>is for patients to draw themselves. There are a lot of reasons for this -- the most important
>three seem to be to help patients to express the inexpressible (i.e., to crawl back into the social realm),
>to try to better communicate with them beyond the 6 minute visit,
>and to not avoid what their pain is doing to them.
>I won't use the term art therapy, and pain doctors don't either, mostly because they want
>to maintain the value of expression and art instead of getting caught in specific ways to do that.

ok, what about image therapy?

jon

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney.
Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Think. Green. Do.