[-empyre-] performing in virtual

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri Oct 12 06:51:01 EST 2012

In our culture, at least in the US, frontal male nudity is constantly
censored; it's overdetermined in far too many directions.

The aggression is definitely there, but actually, I've had more experience
of kindness than anywhere else - from you, Liz, Jo, Garrett, Patrick, for
example. It's a large and vacant territory and it's easy to avoid problems
- until performance time!

In a way it's a punk aesthetic - issues of pain transformed, cathartic,
and the lack of barrier as you say.

The idea of the offensive is always confusing to me; if you're at a punk
performance and don't like it, you can always leave - the same in Second
Life, or art performance, almost any cultural event. Instead censorship
takes over - our ex-mayor Giuliani tried to have the Brooklyn Museum
defunded because there was a painting by Chris Ofili he found obscene.
Some stuff here - http://www.artsjournal.com/issues/Brooklyn.htm

- Alan