[-empyre-] performing in virtual

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Fri Oct 12 07:01:05 EST 2012

No full frontal male nudity in the States? You poor things. You don't know what you are missing! Here in the UK we wallow in Offili's elephant poo and dance amongst diverse flying cocks - and that's just the politicians.

best

Simon

On 11 Oct 2012, at 20:51, Alan Sondheim wrote:

> In our culture, at least in the US, frontal male nudity is constantly censored; it's overdetermined in far too many directions.
>
> The aggression is definitely there, but actually, I've had more experience of kindness than anywhere else - from you, Liz, Jo, Garrett, Patrick, for example. It's a large and vacant territory and it's easy to avoid problems - until performance time!
>
> In a way it's a punk aesthetic - issues of pain transformed, cathartic, and the lack of barrier as you say.
>
> The idea of the offensive is always confusing to me; if you're at a punk performance and don't like it, you can always leave - the same in Second Life, or art performance, almost any cultural event. Instead censorship takes over - our ex-mayor Giuliani tried to have the Brooklyn Museum defunded because there was a painting by Chris Ofili he found obscene. Some stuff here - http://www.artsjournal.com/issues/Brooklyn.htm
>
> - Alan
>
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Yael G wrote:
>
>> Well don't get me wrong.
>>
>> Audience is what makes a performance a performance
>>
>> the fact it is witnessed
>>
>> SL as an environment is quite aggressive. Sometimes it's like everyone around you shouts me me me at the same time.
>>

>> There is no barrier between performer and audience in Second Life
>>
>> They can be as loud as you are and what you do might seem offensive to them.
>>
>> Use male nudity and even though you're in the right frame, that they are seeing something happening in fine arts context
>>

>> and they might choose to disrupt you for various reasons, none may seem valid to you.

Simon Biggs
simon at littlepig.org.uk http://www.littlepig.org.uk/ @SimonBiggsUK skype: simonbiggsuk

s.biggs at ed.ac.uk Edinburgh College of Art, University of Edinburgh
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/  http://www.elmcip.net/  http://www.movingtargets.org.uk/
MSc by Research in Interdisciplinary Creative Practices
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/degrees?id=656&cw_xml=details.php