[-empyre-] night sea crossing 3 + 4

simon swht at clear.net.nz
Tue Oct 23 11:34:06 EST 2012

On 22/10/12 17:10, Alan Sondheim wrote: Celan, an inertness or silence
that's uncanny.

isn't Celan's speaking 'uncanny'? 'uncanny' is not the word. The word
will have the smell of almonds and bite like teeth.

But that the word can, is uncanny - can as in a meditation of Nietzsche
be untimely - can do. Even when it just won't do.

As Adorno said it could, no longer. Perhaps it was this episode more
than any other post war which caused Celan the greatest anguish.

Beckett's characters, as Deleuze points out, continue when they can no
longer. Beyond exhaustion. Beyond the exhaustion of language. Which, for
Deleuze, is also beyond the exhaustion of consciousness. Or is that
attention?

What struck me in the Abramovic movie was how common pain is. A common
sense. The habitus you refer to, Alan? And then that there is this
mirror play of fear on the surface which all too readily succumbs to the
popular depth of a particular pain.

Speaking personally, I remember reading Canetti and nightmares that
wouldn't leave about being two-dimensional. The fear grew over many
years into an outright hostility towards representation particularly
where the depths summoned up by pain were concerned.

I'm too thin, as David Byrne sings.

I regret the interpretation of Celan that reads his poetry into its
aporias. With Anne Carson, I think of him as a lapidary writer, incising
at great effort words into warm stone.

Exhausted. She can't go on. She goes on...

Best,

Simon Taylor

www.squarewhiteworld.com