[-empyre-] week four: Pain, Suffering, and Death in the Virtual

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Oct 24 15:04:56 EST 2012

Thank you, Maria!

I wonder, remembering Amanda Todd's video, if remose in the sense of
biting might also be connected to cutting? I remember teaching a class at
an artschool at one point; the course was about contemporary art, the
body, etc. - and almost everyone in the class was a cutter. It was
incredibly sad; it seems the ultimate risk/control of the body by the
self, the ultimate collapse. And I remember also Acconci's biting piece,
mapping his body with his teeth - but more abject than that, an uncanny
surplus of meaning -