[-empyre-] Hurricane Sandy

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Oct 30 13:34:30 EST 2012

The roaring's from the wind rumbling over the tarps; we repaired the
skylights with shower curtains, tarps, duct tape, gorilla tape, and bungee
cords - and it's still holding. But we went out walking for a half hour,
just got back, and it was like a JG Ballard novel, huge metal advertising
signs crumpled and all over the avenue, moving everywhere in pieces at
high speed, we had to be careful we didn't get hit. And the sound of
clanging scraping metal everywhere. It was fantastic. Meanwhile elsewhere
in the area, already deaths, flooding tunnels, etc. We've been lucky so
far.

- Alan

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Maria Damon wrote:

> what is the roaring inside your building? you write as if from inside a
> sinking ship, as in Edgar Allen Poe's short story...
>
> On 10/29/12 8:04 PM, Alan Sondheim wrote:
>>

>> Everyone I know is documenting the storm and putting it up online. The
>> reality as such is troubling; listening to the police radio gives an idea
>> of the degree people are in trouble. At the moment the situatio is more
>> severe, small explosions, more fires, flooding everywhere. So far we're
>> okay but the roaring inside our place is almost 80 db consistently. Is this
>> the Singularity come early?
>>
>> - Alan
>>
>> Hurricane Sandy
>>
>> some audio files - sounds from inside our place from the skylights; playing
>> nepalese sarangi and sarangi with the sounds; police radio - note the
>> stranded cars with water rising, fires, etc.; a few shots from our
>> excursion out with Gary Wiebke holding the piece of wallboard that almost
>> killed me, and a tree around the corner which has split and killed a
>> smaller ginko next to it as well. The buoy videos fascinate me, taken from
>> a Brooklyn waterfront pier yesterday as the storm approached.
>>
>> http://www.alansondheim.org/sandyh1.mp3
>> http://www.alansondheim.org/sandyh2.mp3
>> http://www.alansondheim.org/sandyh3.mp3
>> http://www.alansondheim.org/sandyh4.mp3