[-empyre-] Response to DYD post from Luz Calvo

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 25 05:12:33 EST 2013

Irina thanks to you and your guests for taking over this month of
empyre.  As Tim has been traveling in China and I have been warding
off the flu and shepherding my senior thesis students off it has been
such a pleasure to hear from so many new voices on empyre.  I have
been lurking regularly!

Thanks again to all of you.  Looking forward to this last week.  Renate

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Irina Contreras <icontreras at cca.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> PS: I think people should post photos of cleaned up plates and crumbs and be forced to write what they ate to their viewer. Maybe, just maybe, we can collectively and individually revive our senses (all of them).
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Luz Calvo <luz.calvo at csueastbay.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> ----------empyre- soft-skinned space----------------------
>>> Greetings—
>>>
>>> Decolonize Your Diet (DYD) has had some success using Facebook to disseminate our message. It is interesting to see how our posts elicit a response from folks who are hailed in one way or another by our recipes, tips, or cultural reclamations.
>>>
>>> Our project is earnest. We're interested in getting folks (Chican@/Latin@ especially)  to find ways to return to eating the healthy (ie. non-processed) foods  their ancestors ate. Through our posts, we also encourage folks to question the food system, capitalism, and empire. Based on our FB stats, our demographic clusters around ages 25-34, with women outnumbering men 3 to 1.
>>>
>>> We're committed to decolonization as a political stance but try to make this concept/politics completely accessible by discussions of food. On our page, we often share recipes.
>>>
>>> Re. art and resistance: To us, food is art and cooks should be considered cultural workers. We're interested in liberating the kitchen so that the labor of cooking is regarded as a creative act of resistance, akin to political graffiti. A cook's dish is their placa/tag, inscribed on the belly of those who are fed. We are struggling with ways to unhinge the gendered oppression that has surrounded cooking as "women's work."
>>>
>>> Through our cooking and writing projects, we desire to disrupt  gender and colonial relations.  At the same time, we are trying to intervene in "lo popular" (the "popular" by which we mean daily life of real folks). We're not interested in just forging another academic discourse (which is sometimes challenging since we are both academics). Facebook, despite its considerable downsides, gives us access to a non-academic public.
>>>
>>> Here's a little blog entry we wrote which explains our project: http://mujerestalk.malcs.org/2012/09/decolonize-your-diet.html
>>>
>>> I'll close this message by sharing a recipe.
>>>
>>> Chipotle Pumpkin Soup Alchemy
>>>
>>> Everyone who tastes this soup swoons. It is rich and creamy without the need for dairy. Chipotle adds a smoky note, but be careful not to overdo it (no matter how tough you think you are!) The cinnamon adds a layer of complexity but also helps the body regulate its blood glucose levels. Many people think that winter squash are grown in the winter but they are actually grown in the summer and harvested in the fall. Winter squash store well, making them an important food during long winter months.

>>> 1 white onion, chopped
>>> 4 garlic cloves, chopped
>>> 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground in molcajete
>>> 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground in molcajete
>>> 1 cinnamon stick, preferably canela Mexicana or Ceylon
>>> 1 chipotle pepper (canned in adobo)
>>> 7-pound cooking pumpkin or winter squash, roasted and cubed
>>> 4 to 6 cups vegetable stock
>>> 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican oregano
>>> 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
> [...]
>>>

>>> Add the pumpkin, cinnamon stick, vegetable stock, oregano, and salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minute.
>>>
>>> Toast pepitas on a hot skillet until they start to puff up and/or turn brown. Remove pepitas from pan and set aside
>>>

>>> Remove cinnamon stick from soup. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup until creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender,  use a regular blender, working in batches and taking care not to cause an explosion (!)
>>>

>>> Put soup back on stove over low heat. If the soup is too thick, add some water now. Add lime juice and one drop of maple syrup. The maple syrup helps to bring all the flavors together. Don’t add too much or the soup will taste cloying.  Here comes the fun part: taste and adjust seasonings.  If you want an even spicier soup, chipotle adobo sauce a little at a time. I like to feel a warm gentle heat on my palette. Consider adding more salt, acid (lime), or maple syrup.  Cooking is magic and alchemy and the final product should have a nice balance of salt, acid, spicy, and sweet notes. Once you have the soup to your liking, let it heat through for a few minutes.
>>>
>>> Serve piping hot with toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), a beautiful cilantro leaf, and cashew cream, if using. We also eat with out eyes: Make it beautiful!
>>>
>>> Yield: 6 large bowls
>>>

>>> NOTE: The easiest way to roast a pumpkin is to roast the whole thing in a baking dish at 375 degree for one hour or until it is easily pierced by a knife.
>>>

>>> Shopping Notes: For this recipe, look for a nice winter squash that weighs about 7 or so pounds. Good choices would be a sugar pumpkin, fairytale pumpkin, Cinderella pumpkin, or Hubbard squash. Now is the time to recover our collective knowledge about huge bio-diversity of pumpkins out there. To do that, we need to start eating them to get to know each one. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different pumpkins and winter squashes in this recipe.  Even better, grow your own! One package of seeds is enough to feed your community forever. Once you harvest your pumpkin, save some of the seeds to plant the following year! If you buy an organic, heirloom pumpkin or winter squash, you don’t even need to buy seeds, just save the seeds from the pumpkins or squash and plant them in the Spring.
>>>

>>> Substitutions: Substitute 3 15-ounce cans of canned pumpkin for the fresh pumpkin. You can use ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon instead of a cinnamon stick. You can use ground cumin and coriander instead of whole seeds. You can use a drop of honey or a pinch of brown sugar instead of maple syrup. You can use lemon instead of lime. This soup is very forgiving, don’t fret about having to substitute some of the ingredients.
>>>

>>> Dr. Luz Calvo
>>> Associate Professor, Department of Ethnic Studies

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art,
(contracted since 2004)
Cornell University
Department of Art, Tjaden Hall Office:  306
Ithaca, NY  14853
Email:   <rferro at cornell.edu>
      http://www.privatesecretspubliclies.net
Lab:  http://www.tinkerfactory.net

Managing Co-moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/