[-empyre-] response to Robert's first post

Christiane_Paul at whitney.org Christiane_Paul at whitney.org
Wed Feb 6 02:56:51 EST 2013

Thanks, Robert! I think your posts very much capture Shani's process and personality, and beyond that provide a model for "artists in labs." (I don't know how many on the list are actively engaged in this type of practice and/or work with wetware.) Shani was a rigorous researcher, a role that is still often perceived as antithetical to that of the artist; playing both of these roles and ultimately transcending their either/or is probably at the core of art-science practice. Shani's experience with research also was crucial to prolonging her life, to finding out about trials and new approaches and working with teams of doctors to determine her treatment. I often thought how difficult dealing with terminal cancer must be for people who do not have Shani's amazing abilities and experience as a researcher. (And sharing her findings was of course her motivation behind the Anti-Cancer Survival Kit, her last project).

When I was going through all the documents related to Shani's work on my hard drive I found a proposal for a project -- The Eco - Ar(t)[ch]ivist -- which she had developed for the Whitney's artport site; I had completely forgotten about it (since the funding for that series of commissions ultimately fell through):

"The Eco - Ar(t)[ch]ivist is a online interactive visualization system examining the relationship between artistic creations, activist formations and scientific innovation / discovery relevant to environmental discourse over the past forty years. This project is inspired by the recent re-emerging boom in environmental art, as well new approaches to arts & science collaborations and the contemporary as well as historical synergies between certain artistic and activist interests."

Christiane