[-empyre-] response to Robert's first post

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 7 16:00:03 EST 2013

Thanks Robert and Christiane.

Robert_ For some reason I can not find Dying for the Other on Vimeo
anymore.  I was able to see a portion of it a few days ago and I must
say that it was very difficult for me to watch.  There was such a
straightforward yet vulnerable tension throughout the portion I
watched.  If you have the direct link and could pass it on that would
be good.
Thanks so much for sharing with us your recollections of visiting Dr.
Schneider as well.

To both of you_ As long as this is our first week it may be good if
you wouldn't mind talking generally about Beatriz as well as other
projects she was working on most recently. Any links that you could
pass would also help. Establishing a good base this week will lay the
foundation for the rest of the month when our other guests join us.

I have posted her website link below:
http://www.beatrizdacosta.net/

And the Irvine announcement
http://news.uci.edu/briefs/studio-artist-beatriz-da-costa-dies-at-38/

I also noticed that some of her work is archived in the Rose Goldsen
Archive of New Media Art today as I was doing a bit of searching.

I will be introducing two new guests on Friday so anything you can add
would be great.  This month's discussion will be archived.

Hope you will freely share.  Many thanks again.  Renate

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Robert Nideffer <nideffer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your comments Renate. I was able to locate the password to view the full length video for those that are interested. From your first link, at the bottom of the trailer you'll see a "To view full video... click here" which takes you to a pass protected page -- just enter "humans" to gain access.
>
> I also was struck by the immediacy of Dr. Schneider's response. I went with her to that first meeting at his lab. A number of others would follow. The specifics of much of the initial conversation escape me now. It was background about the nature of his research, some discussion of Shani's most recent history with cancer, and of course her project ideas. I do remember his being quite taken by Shani, If I had to guess I'd think it in part due to her deep knowledge of her disease, the considerable research she'd done on laboratory practices involving mice, her directness and openness, her motivations, and her desire to translate her experience into something she could creatively offer to others while in the midst of dealing with her own terminal illness. He introduced us to the researchers working with the mouse models in his facility (exclusively women as I recall, at least the ones we met and who became featured in the video), and essentially granted her access on the spot.
>
> Walking out I remember turning to her and expressing my amazement at what had just happened, since it's very rare to be allowed access to film inside an animal research facility, especially for a visual artist. If she was surprised, she hid it well. I do know she was very happy... and immediately began planning what to do next.
>
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Renate Ferro <rtf9 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>>
>> ----------empyre- soft-skinned space----------------------
>> Dear Robert,
>> Thank you so much for agreeing to be our guest during such an
>> emotional time for you. I wanted
>> to respond to you sooner but your post was so compelling yet complex I
>> found myself reading
>> it and then rereading it over again.  I post the URL to the website
>> "Dying for the Other" for our subscribers
>> and those who may not be familiar.
>>
>> http://beatrizdacosta.net/Dying_for_the_Other/
>>
>> Also this on Vimeo
>>
>> http://vimeo.com/33170755
>>

>> The timeliness in which Dr. Schneider responded to her first query
>> seems remarkable.  I look forward to your sharing not only this
>> completed project but also the ones that were in progress.  Can you
>> let us know if there
>> are any online resources for the video project?  This month's
>> discussion may be a good place to begin to help assimilate these
>> resources.
>>
>> Many thanks again to both you and Christiane.  Looking forward to
>> hearing from both of you.
>> Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art
Cornell University
Department of Art, Tjaden Hall Office #420
Ithaca, NY  14853
Email:   <rtf9 at cornell.edu>
      http://www.privatesecretspubliclies.net
Lab:  http://www.tinkerfactory.net

Managing Co-moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre