[-empyre-] empyre: Resistance is futile, ISEA, Sydney 2013 - week 2

Gary Warner gwarner at cdpmedia.com.au
Mon Jul 8 20:06:27 EST 2013

resistance is futile / fertile / facile / fecund / febrile / feral / fecal [predictive text doesn't want to let me type this word - suggests 'decal' - I have to actively opt-out of its algorithmic second-guessing - resistance is, indeed, required] … these and innumerable other pseudo-slogans, puns and putative semantic finials were casually tossed around isea's conversational littoral

which is where the action is - the littoral zones in-between talks, openings, events, meals, sleeps - where the brokerage unfolds, the ontological beds are messed or made, the seeds sown, metonyms tested, agency wended, metaphors mixed, introductions extended…

where there's little resistance, 'cause its about flow and where that takes us, about the polity of digital arts like-mindedness, like all like-mindedness polities, like venn diagrams, some overlap, lots of enclosure and a lot more beyond...

that week, I left my one-room production studio piled high with books, devices, debris, deadlines, and wandered the halls of academe, sat in theatres and wondered how so many people who perhaps 'do this for a living' still read their powerpoint slides out loud - still use powerpoint at all - resistance is negligible, it seems, when such poorly designed, who-knows-how-that-happened ubiquitous junk software for decades shapes the performative deliverance of connection twixt mind-idea and other bodies in over-conditioned spaces…

but that's just a niggling aside… I do like to listen to others, see their images, hear their sounds ...

if resistance is futile, engagement is all - aptly demonstrated in michael naimark's mnemonic time-casting, flicking lines out into the never-the-same river of human inventiveness, reeling in slippery anecdotal instances, those old names, those young faces, splashing about in the tributarial memory pool of our digital arts wetlands - under the cascade of technologic supercession - dromo, hypno, techno, psycho - those influencing machines hacked out of desire to command, control, stretch and bend this soft-skinned fragility…

nothing is less than a little

the technolateral boundaryland {of social media] invites us to go disjecta membra, go touch-action fever, go microdish hunter

go invocation of the antecedents - a little heidegger, a refreshing spray of zizek, a deleuzian waft, a blast of virillion velocity... and there's guy debord deriving - hey there, guy, long time no see/hear/run/play } hats in the air to d'cruz and de bruyn - situated, saturated, intoxicated remonstrances, remembrance swirl, we've been at this game a while now {

resistance is perennial, enduring, emphatic…

resistance is binary mechanism - the perpetual motion of ideological affray, the piston and shaft of human enginuity [no, no, predictive text machine - I wanted to write that]

now dusk has passed, night arisen - time to wander the streets among my citizen anonymies, make my way home in this here and now, under the streetlights, past the backlit promotions, dodging vehicles, catching the bus, having a beer, reading to sleep…

…………………..
gary warner

soundcloud

flickr