[-empyre-] Patrick Lichty Bio

Lichty, Patrick plichty at colum.edu
Tue Jun 4 02:51:15 EST 2013

Patrick Lichty is a digital intermedia designer, artist, writer, and independent curator of over 15 years whose work comments upon the impact of technology on society and how it shapes the perception of the world around us. He works in diverse technological media, including printmaking, kinetics, video, generative music, and neon. Venues in which Lichty has been involved with solo and collaborative works include the Whitney and Venice Bienniales as well as the International Symposium on the Electronic Arts (ISEA). He is Editor-in-Chief of Intelligent Agent, an electronic arts/culture journal based in New York City.  He is an Alpert/Cal Arts fellow, and author of Variant Analyses: Interrogations of New Media Art & Culture.  He is on many editorial boards of new Media journals and for, including Empyre.

Artist Statement:
I am a critical media artist, writer, and independent curator who seeks to provoke dialogue that questions suffering, discrimination, and institutional power through reflections on love, history, social justice,  institutional forms (industrial video) and embodiment many forms, including sculpture in Virtual Reality, Virtual Worlds, Augmented Reality, Physical Computing, and Fabrication.  I believe that humor and/or critical thinking is essential in my work. This comes from my Dada/FLUXUS lineage that shows through my animation work with The Yes Men and RTMark that is informed by texts like "Der Blutige Ernst" (This is Bloody Serious), a Dada Journal.  My goal is to question suffering, oppression and injustice through parody and satire.

http://www.voyd.com
pl at voyd.com