[-empyre-] Renate Ferro, Biography

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 7 04:22:35 EST 2013

I am a conceptual new media artist who toggles between the creative
skins of old and new technologies. My artistic practice embraces
critical interactivity incorporating social and theoretical paradigms
of the psychological and sociological condition with networks of
technology. By aligning artistic, creative practice with critical
approaches to cyber-configurations, I actualize emerging creative
skins whose resulting configurations include installation, interactive
net-based projects, drawing, text, and performance. Most recently my
work has been featured at The Freud Museum in London, The Dorksy
Gallery (NY), The Hemispheric Institute and FOMMA (Mexico), and The
Janus Pannonius Museum (Hungary).

Conceptually my work reflects broadly on matters of anxiety and
trauma, particularly as this intersects with registers of memory,
fantasy, technology, culture, and art.  I have created a series of
interactive and electronic installations around the theme of “mining
memory” including projects entitled “The Virtual Trunk,” The Cabinet,”
and “Screen Memory.” Other recent projects include “Panic Hits Home,”
Private Secrets, Public Lies,” “Gentle Closing Call for Gentle
Opening,” “This Suitcase Has No Bottom,” and “Fort Da: From the
Pleasure Principle to the Technological Drive.”

My text based articles have been written on such themes as the
archive, erasure, collaboration, and creative research and technology.

In 2007 Melinda Rackham invited Timothy Murray and myself to join the
-empyre- moderating team.  We oversaw the transition of  the -empyre-
website to the Cornell University server and within the last couple of
month's designed and launched the new -empyre interface with new
search capabilities.

I have taught in the art department at Cornell University since 2004.
My strong interest in collaborative research inspired me to found the
Tinker Factory Lab, a creative research lab to enable new
collaborative initiatives.

Renate Ferro
www.renateferro.net

--

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art

Managing Co-moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre