[-empyre-] empyre subscribers: we want you to tell us about your new projects and post your bio

Susan E Ryan faryan at lsu.edu
Fri Jun 28 08:13:10 EST 2013

OK, I'm mostly a lurker, a few contributions in the past.

Susan Elizabeth Ryan came to art history by way of her studies with members of Fluxus at Rutgers University. Now, she holds a Ph.D.and has taught contemporary and new media art history for more than two decades but she practices her scholarship with the critical irony she learned from Robert Watts and Geoff Hendricks. She published two straightforward monographs on American painters (Marsden Hartley and Robert Indiana), before focusing her teaching and research on new media and art and technology studies.
She works in the American South. She directed the Baton Rouge Video Project for three years and served on the Steering Committee for the LSU Laboratory for Creative Arts and Technologies, now part of the Center for Computational Studies (CCT), where she remains an Affiliate. After losing everything in Hurricane Katrina in 2005, and spending a week among its victims in New Orleans after the storm, she began new research on wearable technology and has since lectured internationally on dress and technology. She has collaborated with Empyre member Patrick Lichty on numerous occasions, on sessions at CAA and ISEA, editions of Intelligent Agent, and in 2008 on a runway-style exhibition entitled Social Fabrics.
She is currently completing a historical and cultural study of wearable technology that will be published by MIT Press in 2014, current title: Garments of Paradise: Wearable Discourse in the Digital Age.
SER