[-empyre-] empyre subscribers: we want you to tell us about your new projects and post your bio

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Jun 28 20:18:36 EST 2013

Hello all,

I'm away from home on vacation in Australia after attending the
Creativity and Cognition conference in Sydney. The bio on my website
(www.ekran.org) is a bit dated, so I'll wing it. I have no idea how long
I have been lurking as I don't have my archives with me. At home I have
a nice draft of a new bio / artist statement I've been working on that
would have been great to share, but alas.

I'm a PhD Candidate in the School of Interactive Art and Technology at
Simon Fraser University (www.siat.sfu.ca) in Vancouver, Canada. I have
performed in live contexts
(http://www.ekran.org/ben/wp/category/art/performance/), and exhibited
installations (http://www.ekran.org/ben/wp/category/art/installation/),
and lately prints
(http://www.ekran.org/ben/wp/2009/self-organized-landscapes-2009-present/).
I am a FOSS advocate and software developer and have been using 99% FOSS
tools in my artistic and academic work since 2003.

I am currently in the thick of implementing my PhD project, which is a
site-specific autonomous generative artwork in a series of Context
Machines (http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/LEON_a_00525).
This project, Dreaming Machine #3, is an attempt to computationally
model neurological processes of dreaming. It is hoped that by modelling
the processes of dreaming and prerequisite perception, we can look at
the study of creativity from an atypical angle. The model is both
artwork and product of research that realizes an Integrative Theory (of
perception, mind-wandering, mental imagery, dreaming and aspects of
creativity) that is expected to inspire other works. My first paper on
the topic is included in the C&C proceedings, and I'll post when they
are available (http://www.ekran.org/ben/wp/category/writing/).

I think that is enough. I look forward to reading the other bios.
Ben Bogart