[-empyre-] Welcome to Erin Manning and Carol-Ann Braun

Carol-Ann *Braun carolannbraun at free.fr
Sat May 4 20:55:09 EST 2013

Hello to all - nice to participate this first week of May in a discussion on
the balancing act between artistic activism and "real time alliances"Šor, as
I understand it: the ³wicked problem of designing for social change" ?
(Ritter, early 70¹s!)

The projects of our association, Concert-Urbain, based in Paris, are at the
frontier between design and social work. Our software development,
prototypes, ateliers, shows, conferences, have been enabled by the French
government. Exceptionally motivated functionaries have helped us with
budgets, ateliers, reports from the field. They have been our business
angels in the launching of an ³art-start-up².

In France, government policies contribute extensively to innovation in the
arts. The policies reflect the programs of thousands of citizen's
associations, some run by activists in what is called here ³l¹education
populaire², ie, schooling for the people by the people (the movement is
vast, at the heart of France¹s social fabric).

Our design challenge includes interlocutors at every level of society. This
entails a special kind of salesmanship: choosing modest words to describe
what you want to do as an artist;  adapting technology to existing
educational methodologies; answering questions others have asked; getting
elected officials to define and then accept the risks digital technologies
might represent for them; saving face when no one answers the call to
participate... The negotiation process is long-term, with changing
interlocutors as time goes by. It is painstakingŠand sometimes just a royal
pain. It also brings esthetic breakthroughs of particular significance to an
artist working with digital technologies.

I have several examples of collaborations and collective initiatives that I
can share with you. Each raises different issues:

1. A collective fiction, with a chat space at its core: carried by officials
in the city of Troyes who wanted to bring city employees and citizens
together around a shared ³multimedia² project.

2. Measuring utopia: an art project on the subject of happiness, with a
methodology that involves an alternative approach to data-base design. Our
main partner: the CIRASTI, a federation of associations to engage kids in
scientific projects.

3. An urban renewal initiative by the Conseil general du Val de Marne, that
includes an on-line debating platform designed to include those who suffer
from intellectual disabilities. It is linked to the "participatory design"
of neighborhoods by including inhabitants
(see http://www.maitrisedusage.eu/).

More on its way throughout the coming week,

Carol-Ann BRAUN
Association Concert-Urbain
http://concerturbain.wordpress.com/