[-empyre-] about Brooke's post

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sun May 26 03:01:09 EST 2013

Dear Tim: I am a bit atonished by the fact Cornell is building a new campus
in collaboration with a university in Israel. There is a widespread boycott
against Israel among academics and cultural workers and Stephen Hawkings
cancelled last month his tour in Israel.
The discussion is for me a crucial level of our discussion here about
collaboration, under which premises we collaborate and who set the rules?
For me any collaboration is a deal between equals engaged in the same
vision and goals and sharing skills to achieve the goals and to learn each
other paths.
Is nobody in Cornell concerned with the issues to collaborate with an
Israel university and develop technical resources and tools which are maybe
going to be used in Israel's warfare against Palestinian and others?
Ana

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Timothy Conway Murray <tcm1 at cornell.edu>wrote:

> Dear Brooke and Gaby,
>
> Thanks ever so much for raising the issue of collaboration and
> corporatization.  Many of you might have come across the widespread
> publicity disseminated by Cornell University, where Renate and I teach,
> regarding the new Tech Campus it is building on Roosevelt Island in New
> York City, in partnership with the City and Technion University of Israel.
>  A large emphasis of this publicity is a new collaborative model of
> Master's education in Technology (primarily in Information Science and
> Engineering).  The collaboration in this case is between big tech industry
> and graduate students eager to glean profits from their training in higher
> education.  This model of higher education/corporate collaboration is well
> know to all of us (its precedent was collaboration between higher education
> and the defense industry) and is being promoted by the governor of New York
> State (who just authorized the free use of university buildings for tech
> start-up companies -- at a time when the arts and h
>  umanities have no funds for basic teaching needs).
>
> So I'm so grateful to you, Ricardo, Gaby, and others who are emphasizing
> the empowerment brought by collaboration on not-for-profit models of
> artistic practice and social engagement.  We all know that this is an
> uphill battle.  For the moderators of -empyre-, the articulation of these
> issues, even in the relative quiet of the natural glories of May, situates
> new media praxis on a different plane that found in so many of our cultures
> and universities as they face massive cutbacks in the arts and cultural
> sector at the very time when we need alternative models of social
> collaboration the most.
>
> Renate and I are now off to celebrate the university graduation of our son
> who with his classmates in Art at Cornell have been engaging in various
> levels of just such artistic collaborational practice.  We strongly believe
> that alternative voices and practices do alter the grain of the hegemonic
> voice of our corporate driven global culture.
>
> Best,
>
> Tim
>
> Tim
>
> Best,
>
> Tim
>

> Director, Society for the Humanities
> Curator, Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art
> Professor of Comparative Literature and English
> A. D. White House
> Cornell University
> Ithaca, New York. 14853

http//congresomujeresdenegromontevideo.wordpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/caravia15860606060
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0

<http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/>

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci