[-empyre-] Fwd: Thanks to Ricardo and Brooke, Introducing Week 4: Alonso+Cracium and Zach Blas

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Wed May 29 03:34:36 EST 2013

Dear empyreans,  This email was bounced back because my gmail account
automatically picked up our old gamera.cofa account's address.  Here
it is one more time! Renate

...sent earlier this week....
Many thanks to Ricardo and Brooke for stimulating our discussions this
week on empyre.  My apologies for introducing Week's 4 guests a bit
late. As Tim wrote, our weekend was filled with graduation
festivities.  I am proud of Erin, our son, and all of his fellow
classmates.  The graduating class of BFA art students were comprised
of thirty-seven students from diverse parts of the globe.  They
represented not only diverse cultural perspectives but also a
wide-spectrum of socio-economic class structures. Despite their vast
differences they conspired, cooperated, co-produced, interfaced,
joined together, teamed up, worked with, colluded, and often concurred
and COLLABORATED during their four years at Cornell.  During their
studio production, studio critiques, seminar discussions, studies in
NYC and Rome, and their intense day to day living with one another, I
believe the greatest gift they took away was the understanding of how
essential collaboration is and will be in their lives as artists.
Many graduates in this class we send off are not only interested in
being artists but also socially conscious participants in the world.
We congratulate all of them.

Thanks to all of you this week for expanding our conversation as we
look forward to introducing our guests for Week 4: the collective
Alonso+Cracium and Zach Blas.  We look forward to both of our guests
discussing their own work but also giving us an incite into their own
collaborative practices. We also invite all of you to continue to
respond to other issues we have been discussing.   FYI,nWe will be
closing down this month's discussion on Sunday, June 2nd.

Renate

Week 4:
Alonso+Craciun (UR) www.alonso-craciun.net
The alonso+craciun collective (Sebastián Alonso and Martin Craciun)
works on projects linking art, architecture, thoughts and social
practices. They live and work in Montevideo, Uruguay.

Since the year 2004 the alonso+craciun collective has been working in
several artistic projects, in various formats such as installation,
presentation, photography, video, publications, objects, actions,
workshops. "We have tried to establish relations with cultural public
institutions, educational institutions;  autonomous political and
cultural action enterprises, with citizens who make actions on common
areas of the city, with artists whose critical thinking dialogues

from conflict and maverick and others absolutely indifferent to the
daily rhythms. These relationships, approaches and discussions have
generated and contributed to generate different venues in the public
sphere and an artistic production that seeks to contextualize and
belong to the complex world in which we live.

They represented Uruguay in the XII international architecture
exhibition of the Venice Bienal, they represented Uruguay in VII
Mercosur Art Bienal in Porto Alergre, Brazil, they represented Uruguay
in the XII Architecture Bienal of Buenos Aires, Argentina, they were
invitrd to the firt Uruguay Art Bienal 2012.

They had exhibitions in Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Spain,
Italy, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Since 2008 they develop the
cultural space AMORIR: a place for artistic, aesthetic and political
practices. They co-curate the international project "The Collective
Eye".

They work as professors in the Art Academy and in the Architecture
School in Uruguay.

Zach Blas (US) is an artist-theorist working at the intersections of
technology, queerness, and politics. He is the creator of the art
group Queer Technologies, a founding member of The Public School
Durham, and a PhD candidate in Literature, Information Science +
Information Studies, and Visual Studies at Duke University. Currently,
he is developing a series of works that responds to technological
control and informatic capture through tactics of queer escape,
opacity, disappearance, imperceptibility, and illegibility. Zach’s
recent exhibitions include Trans Technology, Rutgers University, 2013;
the HTMlles Feminist Festival of Media Arts + Digital Culture,
Montreal, 2012; and Abandon Normal Devices Festival, Manchester, 2012.
He has published writings in the “Five Videos” essay series,
commissioned by rhizome.org and the Foundation for Art and Creative
Technology for the 2012 Liverpool Biennial, and the Viral issue of
Women Studies Quarterly. Zach holds a Master of Fine Art, Design Media
Arts, University of California Los Angeles. Currently, he is an
artist/researcher-in-residence at the b.a.n.g.lab and Performative
Nanorobotics Lab, University of California San Diego.

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor of Art
Cornell University
Department of Art, Tjaden Hall Office #420
Ithaca, NY  14853
Email:   <rtf9 at cornell.edu>
      http://www.privatesecretspubliclies.net
Lab:  http://www.tinkerfactory.net

Managing Co-moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre