[-empyre-] welcome and initial ruminations

Selmin Kara selminkara at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 14:41:24 EST 2013

I would like to thank everyone for the initial batch of wonderful posts. I
would like to respond to some of them at length later but let me
immediately explain why there is no mention of Toronto-based artivism in
our initial provocation in case that creates skepticism about our
investments. Although Patrick and I are hailing from Toronto, I have only
been living in Canada for 2 years (was in the US for 8 years before then)
and Patrick arrived just last year from the US. As a Turkish scholar, I
have been selfishly preoccupied with the social justice protests taking
place in my home country (and the possibility of a war between Turkey and
Syria) for the last couple of months, which will hopefully explain the
cultural specificity of the Gezi example. Similarly, my interest in Ai
Weiwei's hooliganism derives from the autocratic governments' common
labelling of protesters around the world as hooligans (as in the case of
Turkish government declaring Gezi protesters "capulcu/looters," Russian
government prosecuting Pussy Riot as hooligans, and India's own
gunda/goonda history). Therefore, our highlighting of Ai Weiwei in the
provocation has nothing to do with the Art Gallery of Ontario's recent
engagements with the artist's work against the backdrop of Toronto's own
very powerful artivist practices. Please do not take it as a gesture of
dismissal of what's happening in the city.