No subject

Fri Nov 22 10:42:51 EST 2013

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Timothy Conway Murray <tcm1 at cornell.edu>wrote:

> [...]
> incredibly important discussions of the value and challenges of critical
> making for indigenous communities in Africa and Latin America, we then
> learned of innovations in gaming and feminist networks and important
> critical interventions in Romania, China, Japan, France, and Canada.  It
> seems fitting that the month concluded with fascinating discussions of the
> place of intellectual property in the contexts of hacking communities and
> traditional knowledge in Latin America and elsewhere.
>
> We are especially appreciative of the efforts made by those participants
> who posted while traveling to or conferencing at HASTAC in Peru, since we
> can attest to the challenges faced by Peruvian bloggers by inconsistent
> network connections, if not sporadic wireless and blackouts.  Hosting the
> final week from Peru brought home to me and Renate the cautionary tales of
> Daniel Herwitz and Diana Taylor about the limitations of the reach of our
> own extensive -empyre- network within the cultural realities of the
> extensive digital divide.  It was fascinating, in this context, that
> HASTAC's meetings spaces within the huge complex of the Peruvian Ministry
> of Culture were not set up with wireless until an hour before the
> beginning of the HASTAC conference, leaving Renate uncertain about the
> viability of exhibiting her networked art piece, "Private Secrets, Public
> Lies" (privatesecretspubliclies.net).  Just as -empyre- was happy to
> partner with HASTAC to foreground the challenges faced by critical makers
> working in uneven international infrastructures, we honor those makers who
> move forward with progressive projects that contribute to the projects of
> emergent social communities as they work with unstable networked
> connections and national infrastructures.  We are particularly thankful to
> Kevin Franklin for his heroic work with the Organization of American
> States (the co-sponsor of the HASTAC Peru meetings) to push out the
> networked infrastructure across Latin America as a means to enhance
> cultural expression and participation.
>
> We hope that you'll have a chance to rehearse this month's fascinating
> discussion via the -empyre- archive,
> http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/.  We find it very
> stimulating reread the month's posts at the conclusion of the discussion,
> which frequently foregrounds issues raised by posts made early in the
> month.  As we move among the flowers of May pushing up through our ground
> so exhausted by an interminable winter in Upstate New York, please join us
> in celebrating the contributions of this month's special guests: Denisa
> Kera (Singapore), Marcus Bastos (Brazil), Kevin Franklin (US), Daniel
> Herwitz (US), Diana Taylor (US), Calin Man (Romania), Michael  Simeone
> (US), Joyce Rudinsky (US), Victoria Szabo (US), Elizabeth Losh (US),
> Jentery Sayers (Canada), Nina Belojevic (Canada), Shaun Macpherson
> (Canada), Katielynn McQueston (Canada), Zac Zimmer (US), Kevin Hamilton

Daniel Herwitz
Frederick G. L. Huetwell Professor
Department of Comparative Literature
University of Michigan
2012 Tisch Hall
435 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003

--001a1139fddae0ab6104f8843068

t ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Dear Tim and Renata</div><div class=3D"gma=
il_default" style=3D"font-family:trebuchet ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><=
br></div>
ont-size:small">Thanks is all to you for creating this marvelous venue for =
global conversation, an empyre without an empire. Without you there would b=
e no communication between we the various participants, and thank you for m=
aking that happen.=C2=A0</div>
ont-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family=
:trebuchet ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">From Daniel, writing from Johanne=
sburg</div>
 May 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Timothy Conway Murray <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:tcm1 at cornell.edu" target=3D"_blank">tcm1 at cornell.edu</a>&gt;</s=
pan> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">----------empyre- soft-skinned space--------=
--------------<br>
Renate and I have returned from Lima and have been regrouping to organize<b=
r>
the May discussion, which she will announce a bit later. =C2=A0For now, we<=
br>
would like to thank all our many special guests and members for their<br>
energetic and informative posts regarding April&#39;s discussion topic,<br>
Critical Making in International Networks. =C2=A0Beginning the month with<b=
r>
incredibly important discussions of the value and challenges of critical<br=

making for indigenous communities in Africa and Latin America, we then<br>
learned of innovations in gaming and feminist networks and important<br>
critical interventions in Romania, China, Japan, France, and Canada. =C2=A0=
It<br>
seems fitting that the month concluded with fascinating discussions of the<=
br>
place of intellectual property in the contexts of hacking communities and<b=
r>
traditional knowledge in Latin America and elsewhere.<br>
We are especially appreciative of the efforts made by those participants<br=

who posted while traveling to or conferencing at HASTAC in Peru, since we<b=
r>
can attest to the challenges faced by Peruvian bloggers by inconsistent<br>
network connections, if not sporadic wireless and blackouts. =C2=A0Hosting =
the<br>
final week from Peru brought home to me and Renate the cautionary tales of<=
br>
Daniel Herwitz and Diana Taylor about the limitations of the reach of our<b=
r>
own extensive -empyre- network within the cultural realities of the<br>
extensive digital divide. =C2=A0It was fascinating, in this context, that<b=
r>
HASTAC&#39;s meetings spaces within the huge complex of the Peruvian Minist=
ry<br>
of Culture were not set up with wireless until an hour before the<br>
beginning of the HASTAC conference, leaving Renate uncertain about the<br>
viability of exhibiting her networked art piece, &quot;Private Secrets, Pub=
lic<br>
Lies&quot; (<a href=3D"http://privatesecretspubliclies.net" target=3D"_blan=
k">privatesecretspubliclies.net</a>). =C2=A0Just as -empyre- was happy to<b=
r>
partner with HASTAC to foreground the challenges faced by critical makers<b=
r>
working in uneven international infrastructures, we honor those makers who<=
br>
move forward with progressive projects that contribute to the projects of<b=
r>
emergent social communities as they work with unstable networked<br>
connections and national infrastructures. =C2=A0We are particularly thankfu=
l to<br>
Kevin Franklin for his heroic work with the Organization of American<br>
States (the co-sponsor of the HASTAC Peru meetings) to push out the<br>
networked infrastructure across Latin America as a means to enhance<br>
cultural expression and participation.<br>
We hope that you&#39;ll have a chance to rehearse this month&#39;s fascinat=
ing<br>
discussion via the -empyre- archive,<br>
k">http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/</a>. =C2=A0We find it ve=
ry<br>
stimulating reread the month&#39;s posts at the conclusion of the discussio=
n,<br>
which frequently foregrounds issues raised by posts made early in the<br>
month. =C2=A0As we move among the flowers of May pushing up through our gro=
und<br>
so exhausted by an interminable winter in Upstate New York, please join us<=
br>
in celebrating the contributions of this month&#39;s special guests: Denisa=
Kera (Singapore), Marcus Bastos (Brazil), Kevin Franklin (US), Daniel<br>
Herwitz (US), Diana Taylor (US), Calin Man (Romania), Michael =C2=A0Simeone=
(US), Joyce Rudinsky (US), Victoria Szabo (US), Elizabeth Losh (US),<br>
Jentery Sayers (Canada), Nina Belojevic (Canada), Shaun Macpherson<br>
(Canada), Katielynn McQueston (Canada), Zac Zimmer (US), Kevin Hamilton<br>
(US), Nelly Todorova (France).<br>
Best wishes for promises of May.<br>
Tim and Renate<br>
&gt;_______________________________________________<br>
&gt;empyre forum<br>
&gt;<a href=3D"mailto:empyre at lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au">empyre at lists.cofa.unsw=
.edu.au</a><br>
&gt;<a href=3D"http://www.subtle.net/empyre" target=3D"_blank">http://www.s=
ubtle.net/empyre</a><br>
empyre forum<br>
.au</a><br>
e.net/empyre</a><br>
ltr">Daniel Herwitz<br>Frederick G. L. Huetwell Professor<div>Department of=
 South State Street<br>

--001a1139fddae0ab6104f8843068--