[-empyre-] Week 3 on empyre: thoughts about the first two weeks and moving on

Gabriel Menotti gabriel.menotti at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 00:41:54 EST 2013

Hello, Tim!

> So would you mind elaborating a little more specifically about
> the particular institutional contexts about which your thinking in Brazil.

Oh, sorry if I was unclear. I was referring mostly to academia and
academic forums. Particularly, I was thinking about Socine, the
biggest cinema/screen/film studies congress in the country, which is
fresh in my mind because I was participating of it two weeks ago. I
was hoping to see a more heterogeneous event, but it ended up very
traditional. The only working group *slightly* opened to convergence
(or issues of technology and culture) was the arts & cinema one.

I was presenting a paper about piracy and ended up in a panel with
someone doing statistical research on the participation of women in
the production of Brazilian features in the last 20 years. While there
could have been an interesting dialogue between our two projects, if
the panel was better planned and chaired, it ended up feeling simply
as the place where they throw the misfits. The point being: there is
not enough people working in certain areas to constitute productive
fields of academic dialogue and criticism.

On the other hand, it is interesting to notice how sometimes it is
non-academic events and institutions (like FILE) that work as
catalysts of thought, creating conditions for the displacement of
current research culture. Didi-Huberman, for instance, was brought to
Brazil for a lecture by the newly opened Rio Museum of Arts (MAR), and
this certainly played an important role in his recent surge of
popularity.

Such events have the conceptual freedom and necessary fundings to
propose new questions/ bring new people. It is a shame that lots of
them that were involved with arts & media were recently discontinued
due to cuts in cultural budgets (Arte.mov, Prêmio Sérgio Motta,
MIS-SP). FILE is one of the few in the area that survived - perhaps
because of its popularity with a wider public. Time will tell how
negative will be the effects of these cuts to the variety of research.

Best!
Menotti